WiFi Rant...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WiFi Rant...

Alright... I just got back from a weekend away from the haus...

Since I was driving for about 2 hours (from south side of Colorado Springs, Colorado up to Longmont, Colorado - in case any of you Colorado peeps feel like knowing. I took I-25 almost all the way) I figured I would take the opportunity to play with a few of the Wardriving utils that I have had laying around for a while.

Anyways, the results were interesting. I was scanning both driving up there and driving back, and the strech of road was something like 110 miles between starting point and destination. I was having a few issues with the network card drivers crapping themselves after scanning for extended periods, but in the end the results were still interesting. Also, I was only sniffing for wireless networks, not seeing if they would connect you to the internet or anything. Hardware used was a Dell Inspiron 3500 with a Microsoft MN-520 802.11b PCMCIA network card, no modification. I believe it is a PRISM2 based card, and I was doing in excess of 65 (sometimes by ~30mph) the whole time, so there are probably more that i could have picked up.

On the trip, I found a total of 163 wireless networks. Of those networks, 90 were not using WEP/WPA encryption. 19 used "default" as their SSID, 25 used "linksys" as their SSID, 6 used "Wireless" and a total of ~30 were set up using the default for the particular vendor.

so... does anyone else find those results particularly scary?
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

It's the wave of the future. :smirk:

Comment

If it wasn't for l337 hax0rz like you those people wouldn't have any reason to even know the word "security," shame on you!

Comment

I would have a few months ago, but after talking with a few people, they tell me that they really don't care if people "steal" their bandwidth(as I put it) and that they just want it to work and they don't wasnt to fuss with anything. The clincher was when I went to my buddies house who is an IT tech and I could connect to his wifi without any wep etc... He told me that he also did not care if anybody connected to his setup. After that it is easy to see why people prefer MACs and don't want to read manuals and never worry about how much they paid for a car as long as the monthly payment is within budget.

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

yeah... i was expecting to find unsecured WAPs, but nothing on that scale...

i suppose this is more of an indication of just how much things have changed/progressed while i've been away from technology...

oh well...
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

it's also a nice cop-out for Kazaa users.

"It wasn't me downloading and sharing those files. Someone must have hacked into my wireless network and run their Kazaa from it."

Jammrock
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

here in my home state (NH) the responsibility of usage is up to the admin.....law was passed requiring admin to secure wireless networking or not be able to prosecute intrusions....
              Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Maybe I'm confusing my l337 hax0rz terms but isn't doing that called wardriving or something like that.
                Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

yes... yes it is... in fact, i believe i mentioned the term in my original post...

although depending on who you talk to the term can cover anything from searching for networks to the subsequent exploiting of them. since I did not do the latter, i figured it a good thing to explain it without using inaccurate terms.

Comment

Oh whoops, went right by it the first time.
                    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

i do the same thing. often. hehe.

Comment

I used my laptop and a Cisco Aironet 352 WiFi card to hunt down a rogue wireless network at work today. I noticed it when I was installing two different WiFi cards for directors. I just turned down the radio power to 5 mW and found where the signal was strongest. 5 minutes later I found a Microsoft wireless router sitting under someone's desk (not even an employee even, some consultant, contractor dude).

Jammrock
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
                          l337 hax0rz

did somebody call me?

Comment

Working...
                          X