Can't boot raid after installing linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't boot raid after installing linux

A friend of mine, new linux user, installed Fedora onto an old hard drive. It boots fine, but now he can't boot WinXP. XP is on a raid-0 SATA and Fedora is an IDE drive. He boots into Fedora by changing the BIOS to boot the IDE drive, and upon changing it back to boot the SATA drive it does the raid check and then gets to a screen that says "Press a key to reboot". It wasn't clear if he installed lilo or grub because he says when he boots the IDE drive it loads and goes to the login screen. As far as he knows he didn't tell the Fedora installer to reformat his XP drives...

Thanks,
    Thien
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Does Windows boot if he disconnects the old IDE drive? Was it connected when he installed Windows on his RAID?

Comment

What if you disable the linux devices in the bios so it does not show up when booting.

If that don't work you could try leaving the bios configured for linux and add(if there is not already one) an entry for windows in lilo or grub.

I am going thru some stupid windows boot problems with a linux dual boot myself

Comment

Working...
      X