USB Camera forces reboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Camera forces reboot

Ok, so I built my friend a PC last summer, and a few problems with it arose since then.

The first thing she told me about was a camera problem.

When the PC is booted, and she plugs her Sony camera into it to download pics from it, it works fine. But the SECOND time she tries to do it...she presses the "power" button on the camera, then windows sits for 2 seconds...and then it begins to make the "ba-bing" sound to tell you that it picked up the new hardware...only that it only plays the "ba" part, and then the PC resets.

I tried updating her BIOS and drivers (she has an 8RDA+), but it did nothing.

Naturally, i tried to disable ACPI, but when I did, the PC would reboot just as it began to load windows.

I checked her power rails, and everything seems within reason.

I won't have hands on access to the machine for a week, but I can VNC into it in the meantime. I'm dying for suggestions here.

Is their any updated sony connection software?

You could try different ports, eg some ports are usb 2.0 and some are usb1.1 on nforce 2 boards.

Comment

I was thinking of trying other ports when I got my hands on it again.

Not sure if she eve has Sony software installed...i think it's just using generic Windows stuff. I wanted to run Windows Update as well, but I was too short on time.

Comment

Check for Sony software. Also, is she using the "safely disconnect USB" thing?
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I don' t think she is using the "safely disconnect" thing, but I'm not sure if anything comes up in her taskbar for it or not.

Comment

Heard from her last night...Now using her CDRW will force a reboot. Must be the new nvidia IDE drivers I installed.

And now Open Office doesn't launch. HDD is prolly corrupting from all the reboots.

Comment

Looks like she has a DSC-P50

Comment

Ok, it's still doing the reboot thing with the Sony camera. But now it's every time I turn it on...windows tries to detect it, and pulls up a few things, but once "disk drive" appears as a detected item, it reboots. Grr.

Comment

Working...
                X