Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• allright, my wife is coming to england

You bloody brits better behave!

seriously, she'll be making a trip early august with the monster-in-law and she will have a few days in London to spend on her own (the mother-in-law will be visiting relatives outside of London on her own).
    Is there anything she should see, any place she should avoid, whats the best way to get around town, whats the best hotel/place/area to stay???
    Are there any Murc'ers she should avoid?
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Hey! Now that the wife's gone you can have beer for breakfast, and in your cereal!!! Woohoo!!
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
      Hey! Now that the wife's gone you can have beer for breakfast, and in your cereal!!! Woohoo!!
      Hmm... I wonder what this "beereal" will taste like.

Comment

Mmmm, beereal!

Comment

Re: allright, my wife is coming to england

Originally posted by gt40
          Is there anything she should see,
          The London Eye (photograph posted by GNEP recently, I think.)
          The Cabinet War Rooms - interesting historical display of the bunker Churchill and associates lived/worked in during WW2
          British National Library
          British National Museum
          YO! Sushi
          If there's a nice day, a double decker bus tour can actually be fun (possibly less so if she's alone)
          any place she should avoid,
          Harrod's, unless she has a LARGE discretionary budget
          Tooting
          whats the best way to get around town,
          The Tube - she should get a multi-zone pass for 3, 4, or 7 days - unlimited rides for whichever amount of time. Also, get a map (both are available at Heathrow)
          I'd suggest taking the Heathrow Express as well (if they're going to London first) - it's about $15 each way, but it's 15 minutes to central London (Paddington Station), rather than about an hour by taxi, bus, or normal tube.
          whats the best hotel/place/area to stay???
          There are a bunch of hotels, in varying price ranges, around Queensway / Bayswater (those are the nearby tube stations - the area is actually near Hyde park and Kensington Gardens)
          Stay away from the Corus hotel there - the last time I stayed there, the fire alarm went off every night (until we couldn't stand it any more and changed hotels) We switched to the Henry VIII hotel, which was much better.
          Are there any Murc'ers she should avoid?
          probably.

- Steve

Comment

Yup Steve has most of it there. No need to avoid Tooting though (I live up the road in Balham). London Eye is a definite although it's right outside my office so she runs the risk of running into me Probably worth adding the Tower of London to the list - if she likes a bit of history.
            DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Hey you could snap a picture of her in the eye

AZ
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I could show her a good time if you'd like?
                The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Last time I stayed in a hotel in Queensway -the roads round it were chocker with streetwalkers......
                  Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Rofl@RedRed. Lotsof those in Whitechapel. Towerof London is good. My sister lived within walking distance of it (20minutes walk). Never did go to the Eye (I don't really do the tourist thing). The wax museum outside of baker street station is good (forgot how to spell it)
                    [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                    Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                    Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                    Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                    Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

@Zokes, why should it be any different when she's gone.
                      In fact I have a T-shirt that says: 'Beer, it's not just for breakfast anymore'
                      @spadnos: thanks for the tips! I'll let her post here herself if she has any more specific questions. It's always good to have the insight of someone who's done the trip.
                      @Paddy: does that mean she has a place to stay?
                      @RedRed: some folks we know who have been to London describe the walk as a wall of ppl.

I will let my dear post if she has anymore specifics, she still has a few months to plan her trip.

Thanks, all.

Pat
                      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I WANT TO GO TOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
                        www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

@gt40: Cause now that she's gone your free!! Free as a bird!! (some wive's are controlling, and I thought yours was one of those too, but if she's not then...uh... d'oh! My bad. )

BTW, Nice t-shirt!! (...not just for breakfast anymore... a classic! HAHAHA )

Comment

Cool. Any specific worries/queries/uncertainties just ask - there are a few people living in London here

Though if you live here you tend to be completely unknowledgable about the tourist stuff
                            DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

steve said pretty much everything

hmm... last time I went, we stayed near hyde park. IIRC the hotel name was Quality Hotel Paddington, which is like 3 min walk from the Paddington Station.

And yes, travelling in London = travelling on the tube IMO.

London Eye is pretty cool, I went there early in the morning (i think 9 or 10AM) to avoid line ups. We were like the first one there lol. After we came back out, boy, huge line up.

Also consider going to Covent Garden. I like it there

Comment

Working...
                              X