Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a law against murdering your computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a law against murdering your computer?

I am about to destroy my computer. I thought I'd post here first before I literally start breaking things. I have never been so frustrated.

It all started this morning when I turned on my computer and it complained that my hal file was corrupt. MS says that it is a corrupt registry file and I need to replace it. In order to replace it, I need to get into the WinXP console. I can't get into the XP console because I don't have a bootable WinXP disk. I try to go to the console via safemode but it hangs there as well.

OK, so I gave up on replacing the corrupt registry file. I thought, I'll just use my ghost backup and I'm all set. So I lose a few emails and maybe a couple music files, and possibly some pictures. I throw the bootable ghost disk in, boot the disk, tell ghost to load the image onto one of my 40GB hdd. The CD drive doesn't exist as an option to load the image from even though I booted off the CD, wtf? I try all options under ghost and it just won't show me the CD drive to get the image off of it.

OK, so I give up on using my ghost backup. Since I don't have a bootable XP disk, I have to load an older OS first, then load XP on top of that OS. I stick in my Win2k disk, tell it have a RAID controller, load the driver, and it complains that it can't find any HDD on the raid controller (bangs head against wall several times at this point). I try this several billion times, checking connections, trying different cables, banging my head against the HDD and nothing changes, still no HDD recognized.

OK, so I give up trying to load Win2k then WinXP. I have now resorted to Win98SE. I boot off the win98 disk, it tells me it needs to format th HDD and I need to reboot, so I reboot and it tells me it is going to format the HDD, but it needs me to stick the win98 disk in the CD first. It's ALREADY IN THERE! I try this several billuion times just for the hell of it. I tweaked this, loaded that, fdisked this, formatted that, blah blah blah. Finally, I get to the point where I boot off the Win98 disk, go to the cli and run setup. It hangs on scandisk. I run setup again with the /is option and it hangs on scanning the registry. I now hold the knife to my throat and contemplate suicide. I realize it's not worth it and continue on.

OK, so I have been reduced to a shadow of a technician that has his A+ cert, CCNA, and tons of experience with networking and PCs in various different forms. I finally give up on the Win98 scenario and decided to see if I can get striping to work with my two drives. Why? becaues nothing else works. After some struggling, I get the array setup, format the array, try win2k, win98se and various different things and nothing works.

Oh, I also tried putting my HDD on the non-raid controller and win2k actually found the drive but it won't boot off the drive. It complains that the ntkernel isn't loaded. But that was from my old setup, I haven't tried it again since I nuked the HDD 10,000 times. Ok, if you've gotten, this far, I really appreciate you reading this. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears because nothing I have tried has worked. This afternoon I am going to burn a copy of my buddies XP disk that is bootable and hope that solves all of my problems.

BTW, I realize after typing all of this that it sounds like a bad HDD(they are both IBM Deskstars(cringes)) and they are atleast 2 years old(cringes again). Possibly a bad raid controller too. BTW, I have tried many things but it would take too long to type it all, so I'll just leave it at this.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Pfff you fubarred your ghost up.

I take you haven't got another machine too make another proper.
    ghost disk that supports your CD drive.

First rule of back up always always make sure you can do a restore.

How many times I've been told I've got a back up. Yeh a back up off either blank discs or back up thats corupted or can't access the drive.

Hunt round the internet since you've got back on and you should be able to find a universal driver that supports your CD. If I was work I'd be able to email you one but sadly I ain't.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Finally, The PIT has learned how to appear as another person. I recommend the firing squad mether of systemmurder. Sorry to hear it. Try testing in someone esle's machine if possible before trying for RMA. If you can't get RMA then by all means murder it.
      [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
      Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
      Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
      Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
      Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Got to admit when you're tired getting a very large instrument is very tempting.

I've known ghost fail and I'm at a lost too explain it. Norton Anti virus crashed and the reason was a corrupted file. So I ghosted back to the last known image to get the same message.

It worked before the image and worked after until one day before the next image was due. Never understood it but symantecs solution worked for once.

All you nead is a universal CD driver and mscdex. Look for oaks.sys the company been taken over but the driver is available.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

what raid controller do you have? do you have any other HDDs connected to the other controller?
          nospam

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
            Pfff you fubarred your ghost up.

I take you haven't got another machine too make another proper.
            ghost disk that supports your CD drive.

First rule of back up always always make sure you can do a restore.

How many times I've been told I've got a back up. Yeh a back up off either blank discs or back up thats corupted or can't access the drive.

Hunt round the internet since you've got back on and you should be able to find a universal driver that supports your CD. If I was work I'd be able to email you one but sadly I ain't.
            I don't think it is the ghost backup. It's on the disk, but for some reason it is not reckognizing the CD in Ghost. Actually, I take that back, because if I tell ghost to backup the HDD to CD-R it finds the CD drive no problem. So it knows it is there but for some reason, I can't get that image off the drive becaue it won't show me the drive.

Oh and reading further into your message, it loads PC-DOS and the generic CD-ROM drivers which work because it BOOTS off of the CD!
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by DentyCracker
              Finally, The PIT has learned how to appear as another person. I recommend the firing squad mether of systemmurder. Sorry to hear it. Try testing in someone esle's machine if possible before trying for RMA. If you can't get RMA then by all means murder it.
              What do I RMA? I don't even know what's wrong yet. As the lyrics from Metallica, the song Creeping Death reads, "DIE DIE MOTHER****ER DIE!"

Comment

Originally posted by tonny
                what raid controller do you have? do you have any other HDDs connected to the other controller?
                After all that typing I forgot the system specs

Asus A7V266-E (promise raid controller)
                AthlonXP 2000+
                1GB Mushkin PC2100 2-2-2
                SB Audigy
                2x40GB IBM Deskstar
                1x15GB IBM Deskstar
                3com NIC
                52x32x52 Lite-on burner
                Samsung DVD/CD

And to answer your question, I have the two 40GB HDD connected to the RAID controller and the 15GB HDD connected to the IDE controller(along with the two DVD/CD)

Dave

Comment

It may sound stupid, but try disconnecting your Samsung DVD... I've heard lots of horror stories concerning their drives. They like to mess around with IDE devices as they get older...

Comment

Most probably, Windows won't boot from the HDD connected to another controller because a misconfigured boot.ini. (if you change the order of your hard drives, it won't know where to find it's system files anymore)
                    To try and solve without editing boot.init you can try to put the 40GB HDD before the 15GB one (the normal order in which Windows detects them is PriMaster, PriSlave, SecMaster, SecSlave, but this can be different depending on your BIOS settings) and if that doesn't work, try to switch them.
                    If neither configs work, you have to edit boot.ini. If your boot partition is FAT/FAT32 you can boot with a Windows 98 startup disk and use edit.com to modify it.
                    If you have an NTFS boot partition you can modify it from the Recovery Console of a bootable Windows XP Install CD using bootcfg. It can also be done from a bootable Windows 2000 CD but you will also need a bootable Windows 9x startup disk.

A) for bootable Win2k CD (can also be applied for WinXP but you still need a bootable Win9x floppy):

Step 1: Creating a boot.ini file on the Win9x floppy disk
                    here is an example of a boot.ini file

[boot loader]
                    timeout=30
                    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
                    [operating systems]
                    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft
                    Windows XP Professional" /FASTDETECT

This may or may not work for you. if you put the 40GB hdd to be before any other devices on the controller (use Primary Master and remove the RAID controller just to be sure), this has 99% chances to work.
                    You can use the Windows 2000 or Windows XP boot cd to find exactly in which order your disks are. (Use the info in Step 2 below to enter Recovery Console)
                    Once in Recovery Console, type "map" to get a list of all the drives and partitions Windows detects.
                    In the above boot.ini sample change "disk(0)" and "partition(1)" in both line 3 and 5 to match the number of the boot HDD and of the partition
                    You will also have to change the "WINDOWS" at the end of line 3 and middle of line 5 to match the folder in which you have Windows installed. (default is "WINNT" for win2k installs and "WINDOWS" for WinXP installs)

- boot from the Win9x floppy disk.
                    - If you have a win98 recovery disk use edit.com to create a boot.ini file, if not use the following command:
                    "copy con boot.ini"
                    and then type each line of the file followed by enter (you cannot edit a previous line so be carefull on typos) and after you finish typing it, press CTRL + Z and enter.

Step 2: entering the Recovery Console
                    - boot from the Windows 2k CD.
                    - At the setup prompt to press enter to install Windows, press R to enter Recovery mode and then C to enter Recovery Console (for WinXP CD you just press R).
                    - Upon entering the Recovery Console, you may be asked which Windows installation you wish to log into. Chose the apropiate one (in case you have more) and enter the administrator password.

Step 3: replacing the current boot.ini
                    - you can rename your current boot.ini if you want to keep it as a copy, otherwise it will be overwritten with the new one. to do this type "cd \" and then "ren boot.ini boot.bak" at the command prompt.
                    - at the command prompt type "copy a:\boot.ini c:\" then press Y to overwrite
                    - type exit and after reboot your windows should work.

Goc has a point with the CD Drive. I had a problem a few months ago with Windows 2000 Server and a Promise FastTrak SX4000. It wouldn't recognize the controller during setup.
                    I tried absolutely everything but the solution to my problem was to replace the (brand new) Sony CD-ROM drive with an ASUS (weird but true).

I'll post how to modify the boot.ini with a bootable WinXP CD later - got to find the CD first.

edit: split step 2 in 2 and 3; added saving boot.ini to step 3
                    Last edited by tonny; 3 April 2004, 16:34.
                    nospam

Comment

I don't know why, the boot.ini sample doesn't look right after posting.
                      You can get it from here: http://tonny.go.ro/boot.ini
                      nospam

Comment

quite probably the ghost cd has two tracks, the main track and a 'boot' track which appears as 'A:' when you boot from it.

as sugested above, get a boot disk that sees CD rom drives and try that way.

*if it is booting a second track off the cd to 'A' your real drive A shoulb become B, you can copy the neccesary files to floppy that way before you boot from your real floppy.

** if track A doesn't have oak.sys and mscdex it won't see the read cd-rom track, even if it did boot from it.

Bootdisk, Boot Disk, Windows Boot disk, XP Bootdisk, 98 Boot Disk, Setup Disk, Startup Disk, NTFS Bootdisk
                        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Explanation for the need of a bootable floppy for the previous post:
                          - you cannot (AFAIK) create files from the Recovery Console (no edit.com and copy con ... does not work) so you have to create boot.ini on the floppy and then copy it to the hard disk using the Recovery Console (which has NTFS support). you do not need cd-rom support for this bootable floppy

B) to modify boot.ini using a bootable WinXP CD
                          - use Step 2 from the previous post to enter Recovery Console
                          - at the command prompt type "bootcfg /REBUILD"
                          - it will now search for all Windows installations and prompt you if you want to add them to the current boot.ini
                          - type Y to add the installation you want
                          - When it prompts for a "Load Identifier" type "Recovered Windows" or anything else to distinguish this installation from other entries already present in boot.ini. This is what will appear at start-up when it prompts you to select which Windows to start
                          - When it prompts for "OS Load Options" you can type "/FASTDETECT" but this is only required if you dualboot with WinNT 4.0
                          As a note, BOOTCFG does not delete existent entries in boot.ini, only adds new ones so it is imporant to chose a different Load Identifier from the ones already present so that you know which one to chose on bootup.

Good luck
                          nospam

Comment

Thanks for all of the suggestions and help everyone. I got to the point, where I had put one of the 40GB hdd drives on the non-raid controller again. I removed all other hdd from the computer. I nuked the partition in fdisk. This was the step that turned everything around since the problem was that no OS would load because the MBR seemed to be still holding old info. I probably could have done an 'fdisk /mbr' and that would have also cleared the problem. Once I nuked the MBR, I formatted the drive again under Win2k and everything went smooth after that. I was able to re-install WinXP.

Anyway, something that should hav taken me minutes, took me hours, what a waste of time.

Thanks again for the help!

Dave

Comment

Oh and Tonny, welcome to the boards

Comment

Working...
                              X