fixing poor quality video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fixing poor quality video

I have been given a vhs tape that was shot on HI8 in poor light. It is very dark and grainy. I have been asked to improve it. I suspect the best way to improve is to throw it in the bin.

Is there any way I can lighten it up without making it worse. I have dumped the vhs tape to my camcorder, taken it in to Prem and it is very very ordinary, nay bad.

Des
    Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Mother Board
    Intel 3.01GHZ CPU
    1024 mb KingMax DDR ram
    RT X10
    Millenium G550
    Main HDD Seagate 40gb
    2nd HDD Seagate 120gb
    Win XP SP2
    Adobe Premiere 6.5
    DVDWS 2
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    DVD Burner Sony DRU-510A
    Sony HandycamDCR-PC100e

Garbage in = garbage out.

Notwithstanding, although I do not and will not use Premiere, I imagine that it has video filters that will correct the brightness/contrast problem and noise-reducing filters to mitigate the graininess. You will never get normal results, though, just slight visual improvements. The noise reduction tends to reduce the sharpness of the image, though, so it's a compromise.

I took a shot one of about a dozen mongooses romping around a tree in Kenya, by the light of a half-moon, on VHS-C. As can be imagined the image was in shades of black, almost invisible. By judicious manipulation, as described, I even managed to not only see the animals playing, but the grass was greenish and the brown and buff stripes on the animals were clear. Of course, the enhancements didn't improve the noise, but it was better than the original.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Hi,
      Brian is right about gigo, but you have nothing to lose if you check Xentrik's Vixen filter (they claim that their filter improves poor quality video). http://www.xentrik.demon.co.uk/ViXen/body_vixen.html
      mits,
      System specs: primary : Asus P5B Dlx/Wifi, C2Duo E6600 with thermalright 120 and 120mm Scythe S-Flex
      model E, 2 Gb Ram Kingston HyperX PC6400, MSI RX1950Pro with ViVo, 2 * WD3200AAKS, Sound Blaster Audigy ES, NIC onborad, IEE1394 TI onboard, dvd-rw Nec/Sony Optiarc AD-7173A, dvd-rom Pioneer 106-s, Win XP SP2. Secondary : Asus P4B266-E, P4 2GHz (Northwood), ram 512 MB DDR400 , 2*80 Maxtor, vga asus 9600XT with vivo, sound card c-media 8738 onboard, NIC D-Link 538TX, dvd-rw sony dru500AX, cd-rw yamaha 2100E, Win2k SP4.

Comment

Also found Viviclip and Video finesse. Bothof these load plugins to Premiere.

The video is better but still poor. At least it is watchable. Thanks for your help.

Des
        Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Mother Board
        Intel 3.01GHZ CPU
        1024 mb KingMax DDR ram
        RT X10
        Millenium G550
        Main HDD Seagate 40gb
        2nd HDD Seagate 120gb
        Win XP SP2
        Adobe Premiere 6.5
        DVDWS 2
        Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
        DVD Burner Sony DRU-510A
        Sony HandycamDCR-PC100e

Comment

depending on what the footage is about, you may be able to mask the poor quality by........... artistic means.eg change to B&W old film
          smitty

Comment

Working...
          X