Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's up with memory prices these days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with memory prices these days?

I called my local comp store and for 512MB PC2700 333 memory they are asking $140 CND, what???????

Anyone finds these prices to be a bit high other than myself? And the problem is I need 1GB!

Sheesh!

Nope... prices at the suppliers in canada have gone up 20 - 40 dollars per module... haven't found out why though...
    AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
    AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
    Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
    Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

I believe it is based on speculation. Recently a ram manufacturer dumped 10k wafers that were junk (1.5% monthly production) so the market overreacts and jacks up prices accordingly in case of a hike in supply chain.
      Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Real life facts
        Lawrence

Comment

Tell me about it. I just bought some serious RAM for my new system and because I put off ordering for one day, the price jumped by about $30.00 for a matched pair of Corsair XMS 512MB sticks. Typical.

This was $301 or something last week.

Comment

Re: What's up with memory prices these days?

Originally posted by Elie
            I called my local comp store and for 512MB PC2700 333 memory they are asking $140 CND, what???????

Anyone finds these prices to be a bit high other than myself? And the problem is I need 1GB!

Sheesh!
            Try Canada Computers in Pacific Mall.. they are overall the cheapest guys around, and close to where you are at

The best deals on laptops, PC, game systems, components, small appliances, cables, and office supplies. Save more by shopping online or in-store!

512MB PC-2700 DDR333 $123
            512MB PC-3200 DDR400 $106
            Crucial 256MB PC-2700 DDR333 SDRAM $62
            Crucial 512MB PC-2700 DDR333 SDRAM $123

Prices updated as per April 1st
            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by LvR
              Real life facts
              Yawn...happens every year ppl...

Memory price _always_ rises after the Chinese New Year (around February). Sometimes they rise a bit more for other factors (like higher than expected demand, a factory blowing up, etc). They will probably keep on rising until the beginning of summer, then stabilize until November/December.

Comment

Re: Re: What's up with memory prices these days?

Originally posted by tjalfe
                Try Canada Computers in Pacific Mall.. they are overall the cheapest guys around, and close to where you are at

The best deals on laptops, PC, game systems, components, small appliances, cables, and office supplies. Save more by shopping online or in-store!

512MB PC-2700 DDR333 $123
                512MB PC-3200 DDR400 $106
                Crucial 256MB PC-2700 DDR333 SDRAM $62
                Crucial 512MB PC-2700 DDR333 SDRAM $123

Prices updated as per April 1st
                I second that. They also have locations in Mississauga and downtown. I get most of my stuff from them. They're one of the few places that has decent stock of everything, and very competitive prices. Wide range of products too...
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Yeah that's what I'll probably do, thanks guys!

CHeers,
                  Elie

Comment

I just bought a stick of PC3200 Crucial.

Sigh, it appears to be defective.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Why don't you try the Corsair, Rob? Best stuff I've used.

Comment

Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200LLPT TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2 (MY-018-CS) price £174.16 in this country been like that for a while. No increases of note.
                        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Corsair's quite outrageously expensive on some products...

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                            Why don't you try the Corsair, Rob? Best stuff I've used.
                            Because the Crucial was $70 after rebate. Now I just have to figure out if it's actually bad, or if it just doesn't play with my Samsung stick.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                            X