Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSI 745 Ultra - bad caps

Noooooo!

Just been researching a faulty video card (at work) - problem seems to be bad caps. Having read up around the subject I wondered if my motherboard (at home) issues could be down to bad caps.

The main issue I get is that it takes ages to power on from cold (up to 30 minutes).

Did a quick inspection and I can see 2 capacitors with swollen tops

OK - so I need a new motherboard. Problem is I would like either a Sis 746 or (preferably) Sis 748 chipset and it must have cpu heatsink mounting holes. These seem really rare - especially quality makes.

Anybody know of any boards that match, and where to get them in the UK?

Cheers

Can you solder or know of anyone that can?

this MB is easy and cheaply repaired
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I could give it a go, I guess - is this common with the 745 ultras then?

If I could get a 748 I would be happy to upgrade and then try a repair job and use the 745 to upgrade another machine (if it works).

Comment

This is not all that common with the 745. I'd second your choice in getting a 748 and then repairing the old.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Just swung it past the Mrs, too - she hates when I spend money on this PC

Don't suppose you know of any 748 models that are a decent make and have the hsf mounting holes?

Comment

Yeah, I've never heard of the 745 having this problem before. Still, swollen tops are a strong sign. If you hadn't seen those, I would have guessed cold solder joint.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I googled and didn't find any mention.

In this picture the one below the chipset and the smaller one next to the bigger one to the left of the RAM slots that are swollen: http://www.cpu3d.com/review/msi745ultra/dimms.jpg

On further investigation the one next to the chipset has actually leaked

There are more of the same type of capacitor dotted around as well.

Comment

Stay away from the msi 746!
                According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

The best SIS748 board is from DFI, if you can find it.
                  Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Does look nice that - but I can't find it

I'm looking at the Asrock K7S8X-E and K7S8X-E+, as these seem to be readily available.

Comment

No problems here with my K7S8XE. Get the plus if you can. Check www.ocworkbench.com forums for tips on how to get the most out of the mobo. ASRock is the value arm of ASUS
                      [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                      Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                      Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                      Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                      Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Thanks for all the advice.

I have ordered the K7S8XE+

Comment

Search the forums, i did a solder job on my MSI745U about a year ago. The two caps below the memory slots were the culprits.
                          no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Installed the K7S8XE+ today - very happy with it - nice board layout. Got to get me some serial ATA drives now

Seems I underestimated the extent of the problem with the 745Ultra - 7 caps are blown and leaking, plus there are several others of the same type that look OK, but probably aren't.

Comment

Checked my 2 Ultra 745 boards, none of them shows any signs of bad caps
                              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                              X