Crappy ATI drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crappy ATI drivers

Spent all last night trying to get My all in wonder too work. Finally I find over at driverheaven a sticky about a bug in dx 9.0b which stops the TV tuner from working. Can't understand why this fix isn't included with the driver CD which has a directx option in the install which I left ticked.
    The bug was first found back in September 2003. No mention of it in the documentation that came with the CD.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Yeah, same thing here. Though this is just as much MS, as ATI, if I remember correctly.

J1NG

Comment

Well I just got a snowy picture now. The tuner started up I think I've seen this an another bug somewhere or other.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Ditch AIW, get separate tuner card.

Ati drivers are generally still not there yet.

Comment

Bah humbug. Got the TV working by retuning go and figure. Sadly the teletext option is missing. It's also broken the creative speaker setup.
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

honestly, I have never had good luck with ATI's support for any of their TV Tuners. ever.
            "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Well clicking on the teletext button several times got it working and it's stayed working.
              Speakers I can set through the control panel.
              Pretty disgusting selling cards like this. Incorrect instructions Incorrect drivers for Pal users. Shoddy.
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I just picked up a "Leadtek WinFast TV2000 XP Expert" last night. I think it counts as the longest name of any part in my computer. It has a stereo TV tuner, FM Tuner, and an IR remote control. I doesn't have an integrated program guide, but I'm already using xmltv for that. I just have to find a tv guide util that can schedule recordings in the Leadtek PVR software.

Anyway, so far, so good. No bugs yet. I've still got a lot of playing to do with it before I can give it a full review though. It did prove that my PC is too slow to do real time encoding into DivX format. More upgrades coming soon!

Definitely a good deal considering its CAD$85 price tag. I was considering getting an AIW, but then I'd have to replace the tuner whenever I replaced the vid card. Nuts to that.
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

You are lucky, you got it working.
                  I have the same problem and even installing the directx hotfix didn't solve it.
                  It appeares to be a directx 9 problem but it is weird why it only happends with ati's multimedia center. I am using a bundled version of windvd recorder and it works fine, allthough it lacks a lot of functions.
                  Even weirder is the fact that all the channels look good in the channel surf in multimedia center, even preview works, but if I double click to enlarge it, I get a screen full of static.
                  Sometimes I can fix it by retuning as you said but after I restart the app it gets screwed up again.
                  I have the original all-in-wonder radeon and have tried with all multimedia centers from 8.1 to 8.9
                  nospam

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU
                    Ditch AIW, get separate tuner card.

Ati drivers are generally still not there yet.
                    The AIWs do work like a charm if configured correctly (I have a seperate tuner card, but only because of price reasons - my fathers AIW9700 does deliver better results, IMO)

Originally posted by J1NG
                    Yeah, same thing here. Though this is just as much MS, as ATI, if I remember correctly.

J1NG
                    To be correct, this is ONLY a fault of MS. THEY broke the tuning of about every tuner card I know with their DX9.0b - and they released the hotfix.
                    This Microsoft bug also affects separate tuner cards like my Philips based Cinergy.
                    So here ATI is really NOT the one to blame.
                    But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                    My System
                    2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                    German ATI-forum

Comment

Originally posted by Indiana
                      The AIWs do work like a charm if configured correctly
                      I've never had problems with my 9800 Pro All In Wonder...
                      every function of it works perfectly...
                      MMC 8.9, Catalyst 4.3, Remote Wonder 2.3, DVD 2.2..
                      along with an Audigy 2 (5.12.1.443).....

Comment

That MS tuner bugs been there for a while. I have a flyvideo 3000 which was effected by the bug, but Lifeview has had the bug fixed on there website for at least 6 months.

That is all in the past for me, TV and capture software come standard with mandrake 10.0 and they all seem to work well, no more of the "MS blues" for me

Comment

Originally posted by Indiana
                          The AIWs do work like a charm if configured correctly (I have a seperate tuner card, but only because of price reasons - my fathers AIW9700 does deliver better results, IMO)

To be correct, this is ONLY a fault of MS. THEY broke the tuning of about every tuner card I know with their DX9.0b - and they released the hotfix.
                          This Microsoft bug also affects separate tuner cards like my Philips based Cinergy.
                          So here ATI is really NOT the one to blame.

I love throw comments like this.
                          How the f!"£ do you set them up incorrectly. You install the drivers as per CD instructions reboot the machine and no TV tuning option. Mmm time for the instuctions. There aren't any so p[op the CD in. Err nothing quite matches the what you see on screen.
                          Then you find a problem six months old on the internet and the fix isn't mentioned in the documentation or included in the install. Now thats ATI's or Sapphires fault.
                          You install the fix and bingo you can turn the damn thing and bingo two you're told too install this lead which you're only supposed too use with the vcr connection for the sound. I was going to do that anyway. The pdf file sort of hints that you're supposed to use the cd connection on the card itself. Funny I can't remember one but then the doucmention is referring to 9200 and not the 9200SE. You finnish the wizard and bingo no display. You try all twelve channels all the same. Reboot just in case it's fussy like wintv cards are sometimes. Still no go so you try the tuner again. This time it's gives you channal 67 as the starting channal rather twelve and bingo it works. No wheres the teletext. Errr not there okay I click the button that used to be the teletext but now no longer seems to refer to anything. Nothing okay right clickand change the options. Ah teletext is there set back to the previous setting still there. Reboot the machine just too see if everything sticks and it does.

2nd part your statement that DX9.0b broke all tuner card tunings. Nope it didn't. I had two wintv cards that both worked with dx9.0b.

Conclussion okay the company was Sapphire. So lets blame them for the poor documentation and poor drivers. DX fix should have been inclucled and mentioned in the documentation. So blame Sapphire again. Microsoft must take some as well.
                          However it's in ATI's interests to make sure companies get the info and drivers right so they have to take some blame as well.
                          Any newbie would have given up installing this card and probably wouldn't have gone near anyone ATI product again.
                          Last edited by The PIT; 1 April 2004, 23:41.
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT

2nd part your statement that DX9.0b broke all tuner card tunings. Nope it didn't. I had two wintv cards that both worked with dx9.0b.
                            I never said DX9.0b broke tuning on ALL cards, I said this bug also affected other, seperate tuner cards like my Cinergy or the FlyVideo (see Marshmallowmans post) - to my knowledge the NVidia cards with TV tuner are also affected. So this is clearly a MicroSoft bug and nothing else.

And: are you really sure that the driver CD you got contained DX9.0b? I'd highly doubt that, considering the info you gave the contents of this CD seem rather old.
                            If you already had DX9.0b on your machine then ticking the "install DX9" wouldn't do anything, if it was a working DX9.0a on the CD since you can't (at least nor normally) downgrade DX-versions.

You sure do know that drivers on CDs that come with harware products are mostly stone-old and should NOT even be installed, unless you don't have INet connection available. This goes for gfx-card drivers the same as for Mainboard drivers or about any other hardware.
                            But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                            My System
                            2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                            German ATI-forum

Comment

@ The Pit: since you're having so much fun anyway ,can't you try to uninsall the software and start over with the latest drivers from ATi's site?

Comment

Working...
                              X