Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Install Shield wizards here? (no pun intended)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Install Shield wizards here? (no pun intended)

I need to make a setup file using InstallShield. In the program menu I want it to create a shortcut to a pdf file on the installation CD.

But, I don't want to link to a specific drive letter. I would like to be able to make it create the shortcut, where the target is the drive from which the installation is run.

For example if the CD-ROM is d:, then I want it to link to d:\file.pdf, and if the CD-ROM is e: I want it to link to e:\file.pdf.

Anyone know if this can be done in InstallShield?
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Depends on what kind of install your are creating :
    - non-packaged : use the system variable SRCDISK (e.g.: SRCDISK\file.pdf)
    - packaged : you have to parse the system variable PACKAGE_LOCATION : ParsePath( drive, PACKAGE_LOCATION, DISK); drive\file.pdf

Comment

Chris, you have to use the SRCDISK system variable of installshield.

Damn the dupe beat me by two minutes
      Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
      Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
      Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Thanks

well the SRCDISK variable definetaly does something. However if I set the target to "SRCDISK\file.pdf" the target in the installed shortcut come out as "D:\SRCDISK\file.pdf"
        If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

humm, try SRCDISK^"file.pdf", sorry

Comment

Still no luck, when I try to run the install shield it gives me an error saying something like "Illegal character in target". I think it's the quotations that it's complaining about.

Did I mention I am using Installshield Express!? ANd on old one too... version 3.5.

So I'm not trying to do a script or anything.

Comment

Never used IE (InstallShield Express). Last attempt : <SRCDISK>\file.pdf

Comment

If the installer is running from the root of the CD and the PDF also resides there, then cant you just do as above?
                The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

When I saw that it seemed so obvious, but aaparently InstallShield will then transform that to <drive where setup.exe is generated>\file.pdf.

What I mean is that if I generate the install shield file from the D drive on my PC (HD) it will come out as D:\file.pdf. So the drive letter will be assigned at the build time not at install time.

Comment

Have you tried "&lt;SCRDSIK&gt\\file.pdf"
                    Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                    Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                    Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Working...
                    X