• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First thoughts on sp2

ok i know its beta

1. 279mb ouch!
    2. Took ages to install
    3. Says I don't have av - I do
    4. Blocked my internet authentication software, (which stops unauthenticated users accessing the network)
    5. Requested to find a route to the internet for messenger.
    6. Always telling me to turn on auto updates
    7. ie popup blocker very very similar to mozilla
    8. Has slowed the login process (eDirectory)
    9. ie addon manager looks promising.

sp2 does look as if it will improve the security of win xp but it does look to me that they have looked at other commercial/free products and have chosed to include the best parts of these in the core windows os. (again)

Breezer
    Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

1) Okay I got broadband and theres the small download option.
    2) Couldn't have taken long as I can remember doing it. Thats on a Celery running at 741mhz.
    3) Yup happened here too.
    4) Dunno about that.
    5) Didn't do that but then I had already removed this crap.
    6) Only had to do this once.
    7) It works
    8) No problems here
    9) Haven't looked at that.

Overall not a massive update but an update of what should have been in the first place.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

1. Got the CD, and I downloaded it...
      2. V Short time here. This was with the full thing too.
      3. Says I don't have a lot of things, Firewall and AV included. But they are on.
      4. No probs here.
      5. Didn't do that, and it isn't on either.
      6. Yep, right at start up after installation. Didn't ask again afterwards.
      7. Dunno about that, but it works. That's all I care about.
      8. No problem here. In fact, I don't notice a difference at all.
      9. Haven't done anything with that yet... I think....

J1NG

Comment

Is the multiple user login present ? (one user on the computer, another one logged on remotely over network)

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

TIP ehT
          hehe, a name change fot TP!

edit: looks like I've been afflicted as well

Comment

Not to be a smart ass but did anyone read the changes doc before installing SP2?

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama
              Not to be a smart ass but did anyone read the changes doc before installing SP2?
              Nah you only do that when something goes wrong.
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

ROFL, DLed but not installed yet, will do so now
                [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

I already built a Slipstream CD for it..... for those of you with longer attention spans, the changelog/issues document is a mere 156 pages long.

Monitors whether or not you have Anti-Virus Software installed.

Monitors whether or not you have the Firewall turned on (I haven't figured out a way to shut off the notification, either).

ATI's 4.30 Catalysts BSOD on it right after the post-installation boot.

Have not tried the Dual monitor/Dual keyboard/Dual mouse feature yet.

More as time goes on...
                  Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

ok for me so far like the new firewall
                    [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                    Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                    Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                    Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                    Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Dual Monitor on ATI sucks anyway comapired to matrox. It's up to ATI to fix that not microshaft. Although Microshaft are good at breaking things.

Things I don't like about sp2. Still no way of telling the update to occur at login. Also no option to prevent the machine from autobooting when the user isn't present. The machine will reboot in fifthteen seconds isn't good enougth.
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                        Things I don't like about sp2. Still no way of telling the update to occur at login. Also no option to prevent the machine from autobooting when the user isn't present. The machine will reboot in fifthteen seconds isn't good enougth.
                        Bugged on Pre-RC1 builds. Labeled as "Resolved", but after RC1's release. Dunno if that means its fixed or if they thought it was something else though.

what is this first thoughts crap? SP2 is like... uhh... 6 months old?

you guys would have never made it through the debug builds. 280mb download is small. trust me.

VJ: last i heard that was a bug with the Beta1 release. Not sure if it carried over though.

RE the antivirus software - software manufacturers likely will have to update their AV software so that it gets registered with that new security center.
                        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Time will tell. Like I said earlier this is what XP should have been first time around.
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

First thoughts crap means I just downloaded it and posted here after a few hours use.

I don't beta test ms software everyone who purchases a ms product does that.

Breezer
                            Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

is there a way to stop SP2 from telling me to turn on automatic update? (its on the tray, keep reminding me to do it, very annoying...)

Comment

Working...
                              X