Usenet/Newsgroup readers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usenet/Newsgroup readers

Any suggestions for newsgroup readers besides Agent or Outlook Express?

Something that can handle large filesizes would be nice...tired of hitting the 4GB limitation in Agent
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Back in the day I used to use NewsBin Pro.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

I use Pan in Linux. They have a Windows port, but I haven't tried it yet. http://pan.rebelbase.com/
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Comment

I'm using Xnews on Windows and Pan on Linux. Xnews is an exellent newsreader for windows, altough the UI isn't that Intuitive.

I also heard that 40tude Dialog is quite good altough I never tried it myself.

@Wombat where can one dowload the windows port of Pan, I can't find it on the site.
          Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
          Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
          Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

SuperGravity?

Comment

Originally posted by KeiFront
              @Wombat where can one dowload the windows port of Pan, I can't find it on the site.
              I'm not Wombat, but try http://pan.rebelbase.com/download/re...TABLE/WINDOWS/

Comment

I use Xnews too. Once you get used to the interface, it's very good.
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Re: Usenet/Newsgroup readers

Originally posted by GT98
                  ...tired of hitting the 4GB limitation in Agent
                  What on earth could you be downloading from usenet that would be that larg.....aaaahhhh.....
                  Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

So what's wrong with Google Groups? Or is that just for the occasional foray into newsgroup territory?
                    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

The context of the newsgroup use sounds like he needs constant downloading of binaries. Google can't do that.

As for applications, Xnews is good for reading, but is definately far from being the best binary newsgroup downloader.

Comment

Do Mozilla and/or Firebird have that limitation?

Comment

Re: Re: Usenet/Newsgroup readers

Originally posted by Ribbit
                          What on earth could you be downloading from usenet that would be that larg.....aaaahhhh.....
                          well its from getting headers and downloading files that cause this

Comment

I use Newsbin Pro to download binaries. It's really a dedicated binary downloader and not a particularly good reader (although it has limited text functions). I still use Agent for reading text messages. I just like the interface, although it's clearly fallen way behind in terms of binary downloading.

I know A LOT of people who swear by Xnews, but I just don't like the interface. This is a personal thing. Either you love it or you don't. It is very functional and you can't beat the price. (It's free.) My brain just doesn't work the same way as Xnews' programmer, and he programmed it for his own use and preferences.

Of course, OE is just awful for binary downloads.

I think your best course would be to download some trial versions and give them a spin. Here are some links:

NewsBin Pro:

NewsReactor:

NewsRover:

Xnews:

Bienvenue sur notre site d'actus et d'information francophone. Retrouvez chaque semaine les actus les plus folles et les plus captivantes de la toile.

This is a little off-topic, but I subscribe to both Astraweb and Easynews. Easynews can get expensive if you download a lot, but they're reliable and have excellent propagation and very long retention on the binary groups. They also have a handy web interface with even longer retention than the NNTP servers. Astraweb is flakier and retention isn't as good, but you get unlimited downloads for a set price.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by paulcs

This is a little off-topic, but I subscribe to both Astraweb and Easynews. Easynews can get expensive if you download a lot, but they're reliable and have excellent propagation and very long retention on the binary groups. They also have a handy web interface with even longer retention than the NNTP servers. Astraweb is flakier and retention isn't as good, but you get unlimited downloads for a set price.

Paul

Yeah I've been using Easynews...and I like their webpage with the zip manager, but your limited to 6GB with that. They offer a deal where u can answer their Surveys they have ever week for an extra 500MB a week and if you sign up for their Cancer distributive computing deal you can get an extra 2 GB that way also.

Comment

Working...
                              X