which socket A motherboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which socket A motherboard?

im getting another mobile xp2500+ and need a new motherboard, im after maximum FSB overclocks here and will be running PC4000 memory in it. So what do you recommend?im considering DFI lanparty, ABit NF7 or the asus a7n8x-e deluxe. Any rtecommendations?
    is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
    Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Asus a7n8x-e (or a7n8x-x if you are cheap and don't like intergrated components, like me) is probably the best in terms of stability/performance.
    80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

ya, A7N8X-E or A7N8X-X (cheaper for X-series)

otherwise, consider gigabyte offerings or maybe abit (i heard their caps are getting better). Abit AN7 "seems" good... (but i'd ask more about this one)

Comment

a7n8x-x
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
          a7n8x-x
          Does the bios on that version allow as much control as the -e?

I've used all versions of the board and mostl have allowed an XP2500+ with PC3200 to run at 200FSB. One of them had a simplified bios (poss the VM?) but I can't remember atm.
          FT.

Comment

not sure, I only use it for non-overclocked systems.
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I think it does offer the same level of control
              80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

I am very happy with my Asus a7n8x-e due to Fat Tonys advice didn't have any problems yet, rock solid.
                Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (nForce2)>>AMD 2500+@ 3200+ (Barton)>>1.5 GB Ram (PC400)>>Leadtek GF 6800 12x6(385/850)>>Western Digital 120GB (WD1200JB) & Fujitsu 20Gb(MPF3204AT)>>Cambridge Audio azur 540A>>Razer Viper(Mouse)>>V7 V7S20PD 20.1 TFT Monitor>>NEC 3510A>>Lite-ON (40x10)>>Cherry CyMotion>>CanoScan N670U>>Epson Stylus Color 760>>Windows XP (SP2)

Comment

I ought to negotiate a commission from ASUS
                  FT.

Comment

thats just sealed it for me then - asus it is, thanks again.
                    will
                    is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
                    Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Hehe Tone you should compile all the post with your recommendations that resulted in a sale and present it to asus You might get something
                      Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (nForce2)>>AMD 2500+@ 3200+ (Barton)>>1.5 GB Ram (PC400)>>Leadtek GF 6800 12x6(385/850)>>Western Digital 120GB (WD1200JB) & Fujitsu 20Gb(MPF3204AT)>>Cambridge Audio azur 540A>>Razer Viper(Mouse)>>V7 V7S20PD 20.1 TFT Monitor>>NEC 3510A>>Lite-ON (40x10)>>Cherry CyMotion>>CanoScan N670U>>Epson Stylus Color 760>>Windows XP (SP2)

Comment

hehe - as long as it's not a copy of SmartDoctor...

(that's the dynamic clocking/fan speed control for their 9800 XT card...it sucks donkeys).

/Gurm mode off
                        FT.

Comment

Umm... I hope you didn't buy it yet. From what I hear, the A7N8XE-DX and others from that line probably won't work with the Mobile AMD XP cpu's. Supposed to need a new BIOS (latest version still hasn't fixed that problem, apparently).

Out of the box, the Abit NF7-S and Soltek 75FRN2-L support it. Don't know about the DFI board yet.

Please keep in mind this is just what I hear from the technicians at the shop I work at.
                          Epox 8RDA+
                          AMD XP 2500+ w/ Alpha PAL 8045
                          512mb Samsung PC2700 DDR
                          ATI 8500 64mb
                          Hercules Fortissimo II
                          Tekram DC-315U
                          Pioneer DVD 303S
                          Pioneer DVR-106
                          Zip100 Internal
                          Logitech MX 500 Mouse
                          Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro
                          Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 80 gig HD
                          Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 40 gig HD
                          LG Flatron 795FT+
                          Sennheiser HD 570 Headphones
                          Altec Lansing 641 Speakers

Comment

damn.

Comment

gigabyte boards are not too bad.. if they are available and not out of your budget in your place.
                              Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                              ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Working...
                              X