Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• resolution / bit depth / refresh rate problem

Hi All,

Some of you will remember a previous thread I started asking for advice on a new high rez CRT monitor.

Many of you suggested I look into Cornerstone. After more research I chose the Cornerstone p1750.

I just got it today. It's a beauty. I haven't even begun to play with the calibration controls and the image is super sharp throughout. Out of the box it's nicer than my Sony F500 was, and the Sony cost 2.5 times as much.

I'm really glad I didn't try to import the current Sony F520. This Cornerstone is an amazing product and I can recommend it highly.

Now here's my problem...

I'm running the Cornerstone on a Parhelia 128 in a dual display config with a Viewsonic P225f.

My ideal setup would be as follows:

Cornerstone: 1920x1440x32bpp @85Hz
    Viewsonic: 1600x1200x32bpp @85Hz

However it seems that in dual display mode, I can only get the Cornerstone to run at 75Hz.

If I configure the Parhelia for single display mode, I have no trouble setting the display to 85Hz, even at 2048x1536!

If I lower the bit depth to 16bpp, I can run at 85Hz as well. I do some occasional high rez image editing so I don't really want to compromise.

So my question is...
    -is this a driver problem or a hardware limitation?
    -if it's a hardware limitation, will a Parhelia 256MB be able to run my primary display the way I want?
    -if it's a driver problem, does anyone know how I might be able to hack a fix?
    -is it time to bite the bullet and look into ATI?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

(Don't get mad put I'm going to post a similar request for help in the Matrox forums so someone from Haig's team might see it)
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Have you tried Monitor adjustment in Powerdesk or Matrox monitor manager?

Comment

I've tried the monitor adjustments in powerdesk where you can move the picture around the screen and manually specify the refresh rate. It didn't work.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Matrox monitor manager". If it's to do with the Powerdesk HF interface then I've tried it. If not, please clarify.

(Thanks for the suggestion)

Comment

Monitor manager
        1.1.0.11 (BETA)

Comment

Thanks UtwigMU.

A tech on the matrox forum asked me the same question you did about setting the refresh rate in PDHF.

I think his next suggestion will be to try the monitor manager. I hadn't heard of it before. I'll give it a try and post my results.

Comment

I fear you run into some form of limitation of the Parhelia in DH mode ...

at work I run mine at 1920x1440 per CRT and it seems to max out at 75Hz, in 2048x1536 it even won't allow me to go higher than 71Hz.
            Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
            Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
            be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
            4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
            2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
            OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
            4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
            Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
            Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
            LG BH10LS38
            LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

This is the official word I got from a tech on the Matrox forums:

This is a limitation by design. When using the card in DualHead at high resolutions, above 1600x1200, there will be a compromise in either the refresh rate or the colors.
              In your case when using the 1920x1440 resolution in dualhead you will need to drop on the refresh rate or the colors.
              There is no work aroung. The P256 would be the same.
              If Matrox were to officially announce a new card on the horizon, I'd wait for it. But since they haven't, I'm going to look into ATI.

ATI cards are so cheap (relative to Matrox cards) that I could switch and then switch back whenever Matrox finally releases their next card. I kind of did that when I needed better DH resolutions / refresh rates than my G400Max could dish out and used an NVidia GF4 card for about six months until the Parhelia came out.

Still loving my new Cornerstone p1750!

Comment

how much was that nice monitor?
                I want a new 21in, wondering how much a nice one costs these days...

Comment

Well my company is a computer reseller so I got it wholesale.

Even then it was the most expensive 21"/22" CRT monitor available. I paid a little less than $1000 Canadian. There are other big CRT monitors available for $100-$200 less.

If you're in the states then check out MonitorsDirect.com. They seem to be some sort of retail arm of Cornerstone. Anyway, they have a web price of $649 USD.

If you're in the market for big CRT, I have no reservations recommending Cornerstone.

Comment

Working...
                  X