Hypersonic flight to be tested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypersonic flight to be tested

Looks like all of NASA's eggs are in the Hyper-X basket. Hope it works. [fingers crossed]

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

During the test, the 49-foot-long booster rocket will propel the X-43A to about 3,700 mph before the experimental plane detaches from the rocket and flies under its own power using a hydrogen-powered "scramjet" engine, the first such test of the technology.

The actual powered-flight is expected to last about 10 seconds and reach Mach 7 before gliding for six minutes and plunging into the Pacific Ocean.
    Aren't they saying it'll coast for 10 seconds under it's own momentum once it detaches at Mach 7?

Let's hope this time the don't run into another..., Awshit the bloody Pegasus failed again 15 seconds into the flight
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

isn't the Pegasus rocket design like ... 40 years old?
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Will Hyper-X become Hype-X if it fails
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
          isn't the Pegasus rocket design like ... 40 years old?
          eYuppers

the designers of the Hyper-X di not want it to be tested on the Pegasus platform and rightfully so because of it's long history of failures
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

so why are they doing it again.....
            hmmmmm

Comment

Do you give up on everything after failing the first time around?

Just imagine how many virgins there would still be!

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                Do you give up on everything after failing the first time around?

Just imagine how many virgins there would still be!
                Sometimes I do, but then go back with a new strategy! <no pun intended>
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
                  Sometimes I do, but then go back with a new strategy! <no pun intended>
                  Change hands do ya

Comment

Early indications are that the test was successful!

It only burned 1 Kilogram of Hydrogen, but it validated the engine design. No numbers on thrust for a couple of weeks.
                    Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                      Change hands do ya
                      LMAO! Somtimes I resort to feet
                      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

/snickers

Comment

It seems that it worked.. Though bad its gonna take so long to get it developed for commersial use. I would like a ride in 5000mph.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/0....ap/index.html

JD
                          Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus.

Comment

... the agency believes reached a record-setting speed of about 5,000 mph.
                            I thought the Oz scramjet, last year, had already achieved Mach 7.6???
                            An experiment in harnessing scramjet technology for future space transportation systems was flown last weekend by the University of Queensland.
                            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I beleive the Oz's only tested the engine while attached to a rocket
                              the hyper -x was the first time the engine actually powered a vehicle in flight.
                              Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Working...
                              X