No announcement yet.

Can you get this wireless connectior??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you get this wireless connectior??

I like watching films on my computer, but my office is kind of cramped. I like it fine, but its a struggle to fit more than one person seated compfortably.

Whenever I put on a show of films, I end up having to drag the computer downstairs so that I can connect it to my TV.

I could of course use a long scart cable, but there must be a way to do this over a wireless connection.

Can this be done, and do I want to do it?

Cheers!
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Radio shack had a wireless VCR extender years ago - back when vcr's were expensive creatures.

So yes it can be done, who sells a similar product now...
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Check this month's PC Pro magazine. They review lots of wireless kit, including a streaming media receiver (sorry, can't remember the name right now).

Although, you'll probably find you can buy a DVD recorder and quite a bit of media for the same price.

T.
      FT.

Comment

Yeah, the DVD player would be the best option.

There are wireless analog video "cables" here, 2.4 GHz. The problem with them is, quality is poor even when reception is good, which it almost never is with these things. Lots of other stuff uses 2.4 GHz too (Wireless LAN...), which absolutely kills the reception. For some people, they work fine, for some, not even 5 meters through one wall.

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Probably not possible to buy (cheaply) because essentially what you are describing is a transmitter and receiver for a telly signal - and the legal issues around providing a local broadcast of whatever you want to watch would be difficult to get around.
          DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

In germany, 24 GHz is a free band (I think), so these are fairly cheap.. <100 EUR for a set, some also act as IR repeaters (they use a lower frequency - also free - for sending the remote signals back though).

AZ

Comment

hmm... would there be any issues using a bit of cable say 15M long?
              The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Signal loss and it'd work as an antenna, but if you get good shielded cables, both shouldn't be a real problem at that length.

AZ

Comment

cool thanks

Comment

I was going to suggest this, but it doesn't appear to support movies

When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

The guys at x10 have something (transmits analog video over 2.4 I think). Decent products, sleazy marketing, so I don't support them.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thanks guys... I think the answer is going either to be a long cable that i can use at will, or perhaps a small multimedia PC that I can wirelessly link to the network.
                        I have lots of spare boxes around... now to find a gigabit wireless router

Comment

Working...
                        X