Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I guess Canada is better at somethings than we are.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess Canada is better at somethings than we are.

Canada Plans Medical Marijuana Project

TORONTO - Canada plans to make government-certified marijuana available in local pharmacies, a move that would make it only the second country in the world to allow the direct sale of medical marijuana.

Officials are organizing a pilot project in the British Columbia province modeled on a year-old program in the Netherlands.

Currently, there are 78 medical users in Canada permitted to buy government marijuana, which is grown in Flin Flon, Manitoba. An ounce sells for about $113, and the marijuana is sent by courier to patients or their doctors.

But the department is changing the regulations to allow participating pharmacies to stock marijuana for sale to approved patients without a doctor's prescription, similar to regulations governing so-called morning-after pills. Those emergency contraceptives can be obtained directly from a pharmacist without the need for a doctor's signature.

A notice of the change is expected to be made public this spring, allowing for drugstore distribution later in the year.

"We're just at the preliminary stages right now," said Robin O'Brien, a consulting pharmacist organizing the pilot project. "We're not quite sure how it's going to fit."

The Canadian government also has suggested it may decriminalize marijuana, a move criticized by U.S. drug and border agencies, which threaten more intrusive searches of cross-border travelers.

Some patients report that marijuana alleviates the pain and nausea associated with AIDS and other diseases. But marijuana's status as a medicinal drug has not been formally approved, O'Brien said.

"There's no pharmaceutical company that's going to come forward to take it through the regulatory process because they can't get a patent on it, so it's kind of a limbo drug," he said.

The pilot project is slated for British Columbia because the province's college of pharmacists issued a groundbreaking statement last fall supporting the distribution of medical marijuana in pharmacies. Most health care organizations have opposed easier access.
    Joel
    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Now all they have to do is make it good enough so that someone would want to smoke it...

Comment

lol... aint i glad i chose to become canadian.. ......
      "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Well, the "medical"marihuana we can get here through the pharmacist won't bring you a lot of joy. The THC, which is what gets you high, is rather low concentration, somethign for which they select the plants.....Maybe in Canada they do it better....
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

THC IS the medical component. Selecting for low potency is just increaseing the amount of unwanted stuff.

Comment

They should get Jay and Silent Bob for the new commercials if they ever decide to advertise.
            Titanium is the new bling!
            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Marsh: Indeed, I am in error. I seem to recall having read that they were growing it somewher with the aim of limiting THC concentration to avoid the high effect, so I guess there were other substances in there as well which were attributed certain medical of fysiological properties....must be my bad.
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
                They should get Jay and Silent Bob for the new commercials if they ever decide to advertise.
                i am all for it
                "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

I have no problem with people who smoke marijuana in the privacy of their own homes, and I agree it should be de-criminalized. It's certainly no worse than alcohol or tobacco. However, I don't agree that we should be selling it as medicine.

I know it's less harmful and has less nasty chemicals than cigarettes, but it still involves breathing smoke into your lungs. That can't be good for you. There's also the second-hand smoke issue. Cigarette smokers already bother me enough when they hang around the entrance to my office building, filling the doorway with smoke. I don't go to bars just to avoid the smoke.

Aren't there better pain killers out there than marijuana anyway? If not, there has to be a better way to get the THC from marijuana into your bloodstream.
                  Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
                    I know it's less harmful and has less nasty chemicals than cigarettes, but it still involves breathing smoke into your lungs. That can't be good for you.
                    Do you think the chemicals in ordinary drugs (medicine) are good for you? They aren't, but for some people the benefits outweigh the drawbacks (i.e. keeping your blood pressure under control is more important than the harm your medicine does to your liver and kidneys - and whatever side effects it may have on top of that). It's the same with Marijuana as a medicine.

Maybe there will be different forms to get it into the bloodstream, but these won't be as cheap (although the price joel quoted is quite inflated), nor will they be developed by any pharma corporations when marijuana carries a stigma in the biggest pharma countries (US, France, Germany...).

On second hand smoke, I completely agree, for both tobacco and marijuana cigarettes smoking in public should be forbidden, or severely restricted. And of course, if tobacco and alcohol are legal, there's no good reason to keep marijuana illegal. With restrictions (don't smoke and drive), the state could make money from taxes off it, and kids wouldn't be forced to buy it illegally (If there is any gateway drug effect to marijuana, it's that you buy it on the street, and the way from there to other drugs is shorter than from a pharmacy.).

AZ
                    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Do you think the chemicals in ordinary drugs (medicine) are good for you? They aren't, but for some people the benefits outweigh the drawbacks (i.e. keeping your blood pressure under control is more important than the harm your medicine does to your liver and kidneys - and whatever side effects it may have on top of that). It's the same with Marijuana as a medicine.
                      Ok, good point. Smoke away! Just keep it out of my face
                      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
                        Ok, good point. Smoke away! Just keep it out of my face
                        Here here ...
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Also don't forget that some people who smoke medical pot are going through really awful stuff like chemotherapy. For that, it seems to be a perfectly suited drug.

The medically grown pot is reputed to be absolutely awful. Not enough THC and tastes like crap too from the little I've heard about it. The people who need it are still buying off the street for the most part.
                          Bart

Comment

Wouldn't you, at those price and quality differences?

AZ

PS: LOL, I come off like a regular pot smoker. Just to clarify: I don't smoke anything (quit smoking tobacco when GF was pregnant), I drink almost never, I use as little medicaments as possible.
                            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                            X