Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WDM Capture Driver Problem

Hi all,

I am using the Nvidia WDM captute driver on an Asus FX 5200 based capture/graphics card. For some reason the driver settings will be lost when the computer is restarted or shutdown.

This happens to some extent with all capture software exept (apperently) Ulead. If I run a Ulead capture application with my settings it will fix the problem for all other software untill I restart the computer.

My OS is WinXP. Is there a way I can force the setting to remain.
    Pure Motion claim that it is the capture driver fault.

Regards,

Debbie
    We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

I have an Asus V9520 Video Suite (GFFX 5200) w/capture + dual dvi. No problem after ~1.5 year of use (even capture)

Are you using the same version? Or are you using the personal cinema version?

I think there is a TV tuner version of the VIVO drivers. Are you using those? If you are, try using the non TV tuner version and see what happens...

Comment

Been a while since I used the NV wdm, but that is always how I remembered it for my old geforce ddr vivo. Only MSpro or Vidstudio(also asus vcr but that was..bleh) would remember the settings, I used to load video studio then close it and then use virtual dub to capture once it had restored the settings(some settings were not available from Virtual dub).

Can you use the tv tuner bundle?

Comment

Chrono_Wanderer,

I have the Asus V9520 FX5200 VIVO Video Suite and I'm using the NO TV, latest Nvidia WDM Capture drivers. Have had problems since "day 1".

If you're using NTSC, then its no problem, since it is the default setting.

Marshmallowman,

I fully agree with you the asus vcr is still ..bleh and would in't use it ever, however it keeps the wdm settings.

I have been in contact with Pure Motion, the makers of EditStudio, since it is the only decent stable capture software this card will tollerate (at least on my PC) and they blame it on the wdm drivers. Asus have'nt had the decency to reply.

My old trusty Marvel G400 is still on my other computer and with all it's "hacked and twisted drivers" it is far more stable and will take almost anything I "throw at it".
        Last edited by Debbie; 22 March 2004, 00:17.

Comment

The same problem here, with the Asus Radeon9600XT 128 VIVO.
          The card is set to NTSC by default. I couldn’t find an easy method to change it to PAL.
          Maybe hacking the video BIOS and flashing it could help.
          Some indications about how to do this can be found here:

Look at this image:

But I don’t dare to touch my video BIOS.

Every time I restart the computer the card is set to NTSC and I am unable to capture with AVI_IO PAL.
          Therefore I just start up the Asus VCR, which IS bleh, but it holds the PAL settings. Than I shut it down and run AVI_IO as normal, with the right capture settings.

There are no problems with Ulead Video Capture 7.01. I can set, and it holds the settings after a computer restart.
          I am using AVI_IO to capture .AVI and Ulead MSP 7.01 to capture MPEG2.
          Btw, Ulead WS doesn’t hold the capture settings, so I don’t use it to capture video.

My old trusty Marvel G400 is still on my other computer and with all it's "hacked and twisted drivers" it is far more stable and will take almost anything I "throw at it".
          Absolutely right, Debbie. I agree with you.

Otherwise there is nothing wrong with Asus card.
          Oh, yes something is there anyway: the full display to TV, you know. I’m still working with it to find out how to get the right size for recording to VCR.

The Asus Bios editor for nVidia can be DL here:
          Download NVIDIA BIOS Editor (NiBiTor) 6.0.6 - A software solution dedicated to advanced users that enable thorough editing of video card details in order to get the maximum potential

Fred H
          Last edited by Fred H; 22 March 2004, 16:00.
          It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
          ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hi to all...

All I can say: ATI and NVIDIA makes cards for games ONLY!
            Never and never ATI or NVIDIA cards will not be placed in my PC!

Comment

Hi Fred & Co.

It appears that we are dealing with the same monster and unless they come up with a good wdm capture driver we will have to make do with what we have, untill "it goes out of the window".

Asus did'nt have the decency to reply to my e-mails, so much for their "REGISTER FOR HELP AND ASSISTANCE".

I still remember the time when Matrox desided to quit updating drivers for the Marvel. We really made a fuss ! At least Matrox give you a reply via their forums Asus forum is never there.

I feel a bit better now !!!

Debbie

Comment

When I first got my asus geforce ddr deluxe(vivo) It must have taken a year(at least) before a capture driver that would work with windows 2000 was available. 6 months or so before that elsa has one available (just the standard nvidia wdm one).

Asus make good hardware, but there sofware and drivers are NOT so good.

Comment

I wonder if the ”perfect” graphic card exists?
                  Marvel G400 has its pros and cons.
                  ATI & NVIDIA the same, + and –

I won’t complain over my Radeon9600 VIVO. The analog capture quality satisfies my needs.
                  It is just a bit irritating to first start up the Asus capture driver in PAL. After that, everything goes fine.
                  It happened to me that even the Marvel G400 lost the capture driver and I was forced to start up the PCVCR again to be able to get AVI_IO to capture.
                  We all know how difficult it was to get the Marvel G400 to work with WinXP.
                  Thanks Adis for the solution.
                  Now with the Radeon it is a routine for me to first start the carp Asus VCR first to initiate the 50 Hz PAL capture, than I shut it down and everything is okay.
                  The composite output from the Asus in comparison with the much better Matrox DualHead is not a major issue. I can burn the video to DVD and than, if I need to record to VCR, a direct connection from my stand alone DVD player to the VCR solves that.
                  NLE video editing is a dream with my new card, of course in combination with the faster CPU.
                  Before building my new P4 based PC, I considered to reuse the Marvel to this, but AGP4x card in an AGP8x mobo? It should work by setting the motherboard to 4x, but what? 16 MB video RAM in a fast machine? No, no. COMPROMISE is the right word, IMHO.
                  Sometimes can be funny to play games too, but Marvel G400 is nothing for this. Some newer games needs nVidia or Radeon, but more video RAM, any way.
                  Once again, I don’t complain. I still have my Marvel G400 in my second PC (now my wife’s) connected in a local network.

Fred H
                  Last edited by Fred H; 23 March 2004, 03:23.
                  It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
                  ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X