New TurtleBeach 7.1 sound card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New TurtleBeach 7.1 sound card

Turtle Beach delivers a wide selection of industry leading, award-winning gaming headsets. Our sole mission is to help every player play their best - at every level in every game.

No idea how good this card is.. but competition should be good for the market..

Didnt think TurtleBeach had survived though as there was no news of them for a while.. are they still the same company or have been bought over?
    Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
    ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

We discussed this on Ars, this card uses VIA Envy chipset and should be interesting.

WRT to Turtle Beach, the upgrades cycles are slower in souncard business compared to videocard business. And the Creative is big name, so you hear little about others. Also the 5.1 and 6.1 channel coming into motherboards does not bode well for discrete card makers.

It should be interesting to see Hercules' next offerings that will likely be based on this chipset.

Comment

Which Envy?

Comment

HT-S. the 80 USD retail price they show on the website is quite high considering they use the HT-S envy vs. the HT on for example the Revo 7.1.

Comment

Cheap: http://us.hercules.com/products/show...p?p=58&b=0&f=1
          Cheaper: http://us.hercules.com/products/show...p?p=56&b=0&f=1
          "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

I have the Digifire 7.1 in my rig and it uses CS4624 chip (same as Turtle Beach Santa Cruz), not VIA Envy.

It costs ~$95/~€80 Euros, which is not exactly cheap - considering that two people who were shoping for an AutoCAD box at the same time in the shop, had hard time spending as much on their videocard as I did on my soundcard.

Otherwise, the Digifire is great, and if you want decent soundcard for not too much money, Fortissimo III is a good choice.

Comment

Looks like it's a decent card, but my Santa Cruz has a "Versajack" that I really love.

Comment

What's the deal with Versajack?

Comment

AFAIK it's basically a software-controlled jack that can be configured as anything - another microphone input, speaker output, etc.
                  All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

I too was disappointed to see that the new card doesn't feature a VersaJack.

Comment

The cheaper Riviera has one.

Comment

I personally don't like those versa-jack kind of things. My current mainboard has that: line in can also act as rear speakers out; mic in can also act as center+subwoofer. But I find it annoying that you have the disconnect cables to change you configuration. I'd rather have all single-function connectors, so that you can leave everything connected.

Jörg
                        pixar
                        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

What I like is that you can flip between headphones and speakers via drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU
                            What I like is that you can flip between headphones and speakers via drivers.
                            That's precisely what I use my VersaJack for. I never have to fiddle with any cables at the back, because everything is done in software.

Unfortunately, not only does the new Catalina not have a VersaJack; it doesn't even have a dedicated headphone jack. Apparently, you have to reach in the back and unplug a pair of speakers to be able to use headphones.

Comment

I've got 5.1 Speakers, and with the Catalina it supports 7.1, the kicker here is that you can select Headphone Out on ANY of the outputs, thus in my particular case, I can have my cake and eat it, too.

I will likely be getting one of these for my Workstation rig, moving my ever-faithful Santa Cruz to do duty as part of my telephony PC. As it is now, my Workstation spends most of its time as the World's Least Efficient answering machine: Dual MP2600, 1GB RAM, etc...
                              Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Working...
                              X