Win 2K3 [Workstation]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 2K3 [Workstation]

I'm using Windows 2003 Server (modified)
    and it's stable like a bear!

First I do little modifications in installation and after installation I
    maked also some modifications in system and it works very fine.

Anybody other tried this, I'm very satisfied

I have W2K3 server on a machine at home, but I have not modified anything.
    What did you do ? Turn off all server processes or something more complicated?
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Šta si uradio?

Comment

not worth it. you disable all that crap and you wind up with something along the lines of Windows XP.

and, to boot...

Windows 2003 Server WAS NOT DESIGNED TO BE USED AS A WORKSTATION OPERATING SYSTEM.

there are numerous changes and differences that are important for a server but can cause problems or performance differences for workstation apps.
        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I have a document at work that has a bunch of steps to turn windows server 2003 into a workstation OS. People like doing it because once it's tweaked out it has the lean feel and operation of Win2k with the all the support and fun stuff of WinXP.

I've got Win2k3S on a machine at work, but that's actually a mini-server. The only problem I've had with WIn2k2S is some instabilities in the explorer shell, but that may have been fixed with a patch I have not downloaded.

I'll post the instruction tomorrow.

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Thanks Jammrock.

Comment

How to convert your Windows Server 2003... to a Workstation!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

That link covers everything in my doc.

Thanks, Lucid.
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Why would one want to enable autologon, create another user besides administrator and give him admin rights instead of just renaming admin account using unattended install?

Why would one want MS Java, when Sun Java is fine and you need it anyway, if you want to run some other browser than IE (which is what most power users do)?

Comment

Hi to all

First I copied Win2K3 installation to HD and then replaced a
                    few files in installation. Then I burned files to CD and installed
                    Windows normally. After Installation I used little program which
                    enables disabled features needed for workstation.
                    After all it looks like WinXP with Win2K3 stability

Win2K3 Server can be a workstation,
                    you just need to enable some things.

If somebody need files, please PM me...

UtwigMU
                    Samo sam prekopirao instalaciju Windowsa na harddisk i
                    zamijenio neke fajlove u instalaciji novim koje sam skinuo sa
                    interneta i poslije toga snimio novu instalaciju na CD.
                    Poslije instalacije (koja je ista kao za XP) jos treba samo da
                    se pokrene jedan mali programcic koji omoguci upotrebu
                    servera kao workstation. I to je sve

Ako ti trebaju fajlovi molim te posalji privatnu
                    poruku jer ne smijem stavljati link za fajlove ovdje.

Pozdrav

Comment

Actually you need sun java anyway, as MS has stopped support for their JRE
                      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Done that since late last year as my secondary install. Has some quirks, some stuff won't install on it (Quickcam v8 software, ATi MMC 8.9 [8.8 installs])
                        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

wow... that is the most obfusicated way of doing something possible...

please people, just use XP... you don't get any benefit from running server...

i mean, seriously... half of that stuff re-enables features that are enabled by default in XP and the other half disables features that are enabled in XP... plus, it leaves any server related services enabled (assuming they are enabled by default, which most are thankfully not)...

*sigh* such a waste of time.
                          Last edited by DGhost; 20 March 2004, 23:14.
                          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Before you knock it DGhost, give it a try. For some people, it is exactly what they want.

It is really nice getting an OS install that takes less than 3GB of Disk Space, and runs like stink...of course it goes without saying you don't have to worry about the ~80MB of updates that XP has accumulated since 2002. You have about 20MB of updates for Win2K3 by comparision.

That said, I tried it, and came away without the compelling need to use it as a "daily driver". If I want a Server OS, I'll use a Server OS. Since I run RIS with SUS on my Home Server, downloading those all of those Updates from Microsoft has largely been automated. And Since my Home network is 100 Megabit...updates get sent to the clients rather quickly.

I use Win2K3 Server at work and at home: I only have 2 licenses for Win2K3, one for my Home Server, and the other I use for development purposes to test machine setups/configurations.

It is a really flexible Server OS, reasonably secure in default configurations, and extremely easy to administer. Oh yeah, it takes quite a bit less disk space than a newer Linux Distro, too.
                            Last edited by MultimediaMan; 21 March 2004, 02:29.
                            Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

I think Win2K3 uses about 1.9GB of HDD space...

Comment

Working...
                              X