Computer Certifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Certifications

OK I'm offically Network + Certified in addtion to being A + certified. I needed both certs for my current job, but I'm trying to figure out which direction I should go next for certifications....any suggestions?
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

In the UK, when you say someone has been certified, it means that they have been forcibly removed to the fruitcake house

OK, they now use a different PC term.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Big can of worms there. Ideally you should have a long term goal (dba, admin, programmer,CCIE,etc) Are you planning on staying put with the company you are working for now? Usually after 5 years with the same co you are considered "stagnated" by other firms, agencies as IT/IS is considered a short term position.
      Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

MCSE is easy, but not worth a whole lot. It's better than it was with NT4, but not much. A better one would be the Cisco certs. Start with CCNA, which isn't too difficult, and if you like it, continue to CCNP/CCDP.

My brother is currently working on his CCIE. He works for Cisco, and makes a considerable amount of money, but since the CCIE is the most recognized certification in the IT world, it would still be an immense benefit to him.
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Not to mention the fact that their are only about 10,000 CCIE world wide.

agallag, where does your brother work? I'm assuming in Canada. Is he an SE(Sales Engineer)?
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Yup, he's an SE in the Toronto office. Ian Gallagher, if you want to look him up in the employee directory.
            Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I'm currently working on my CCNP, I think that is good enough for me, no need to spend the money and go CCIE.

Regards,
              Elie

Comment

Like they said, depends on the route you want to take.

Netowrking side, go Cisco and never look back.

Work for large corps and system admins, get your MS certs, like MCSE. The tests are actually pretty hard now, and it's getting harder to be a paper MCSE. Still very widely recognnized in the IT industry.

If you are going to do desktop support for a while longer, or get into it, MS has a new cert just for desktop guys called MCDST.

If you are going database... that harder to figure since there are 3 main DB's and certs to boot. The big three to my understanding are Oracle, IBM DB2 and MS SQL, in that order. Oracle is the widest used and known. IBM's DB2 is REALLY catching on in enterprises and people who need REALLY FREAK'n HUGE DBs. MS SQL is mainly for smaller DB's and web stuff, but it's still pretty popular.

As for the CCIE ... uh ... unless you devote your life to learning Cisco AND are really, really good at learning, technology and networking ... stop at the CCNP/CCDP. There is a very good reason why there are only 10k CCIE's in the world. The CCIE test is infamous in the IT industry. You know how most dad's tell ghost stories to scare their kids? Geeks tell CCIE test stories to scare their geek kids.

Enough for now. Please tell us what YOU want to do and we can help you more.

Jammrock
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

roflmao@Jammrock

Comment

Working...
                  X