SATA Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SATA Question

Have to upgrade my drives so I'm going to buy two SATA drives seeing that my newish board supports it.

I got two cables with the board, (both single cables) so each drive needs one cable, how do you go about attaching your CD/DVD, assuming still IDE cable. Is it a good idea to mix SATA and IDE, will they both be recognised by the system or is it one or the other.

Yours, the confused SATA person.

Not sure what you are asking, but:
    I got 1 SCSI HD, 1 IDE DVD-(re)writer, 1 SATA HD and 1 IDE HD which still is not used at all.......

Works like a charm though. I think it's no different from mixing SCSI and IDE for instance.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I'm running sata and ide cd drives without any problems. Read your motherboard manual and it'll should tell you what settings you need to set in the bios.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I've never used SATA but I think the answer to your question is, you have IDE and SATA controllers on your mobo. SATA is point-to-point so one drive per connection. You still connect your IDE drives to the IDE interfaces. They should work fine together.

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Cool as long as they work together.

Just got to decide what sata drives to order now.

Comment

Originally posted by dbdg

how about a 37 or 74Gb WD raptor?

Comment

I went for the SE Western Digital Drives... The 120GB ones are cheap (so I got lots )
              The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Samsung spinpoints are apparently nice and quiet - and have 3 year warranties
                DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

SATA/PATA

...in my recently assembled system i used this combo, it works nicely together.

PATA - 2 Plextor 708a as individual masters on their own channels

SATA - 1 36GB Raptor - BOOT on MB(..intel) - Port 0
                  2 74GB Raptors on a SIIG 2 port PCI addin card that came with the 36GB Raptor drive.

works like a champ and no problems so far.

cc

Comment

Re: SATA/PATA

Originally posted by Chucky Cheese
                    ...in my recently assembled system i used this combo, it works nicely together.

PATA - 2 Plextor 708a as individual masters on their own channels

SATA - 1 36GB Raptor - BOOT on MB(..intel) - Port 0
                    2 74GB Raptors on a SIIG 2 port PCI addin card that came with the 36GB Raptor drive.

works like a champ and no problems so far.

cc
                    Bummer that you were so limited by budget

- Steve

Comment

It looks like a couple of you have gone for some non-standard HD configs. Does nayone know if Win2K can handle the boot hard drive being on the second channel on a motherboard. I know 98SE will not install.

For Example:
                      Motherboard
                      |-Primary
                      | |- Iomega 12X CD-RW
                      | |- Creative 5X DVD
                      |
                      |-Secondary
                      |-20 GB Ultra66
                      |-30 GB Ultra 133

My motherboard will only boot off a CD/DVD drive if it is on the primary channel.

Comment

Boot Control ???

H_J

even with the bios boot control features ???? my MB had no problems booting to SATA port 0 on setup

Steve

i will admit to having a low debt to income ratio...so as these things go, they are not that expensive

cc

Comment

Originally posted by dbdg

Get Seagate 7200.7 drives. Quiet, good and cheap.

Comment

The Seagate drives do look very tempting and are quite a bit cheaper then the Raptors,

In real terms do the the 10k Raptors, perform that much better then the 7.2k Barracuda's? especially seeing as we are talking over twice the cost.

Comment

Raptor Drives

i havent compared the 10ks' vs the 7200s'...however, i still have my scsi(..U160) system and i have done similar disk operations with large files ... these SATA drives are "equal"...the scsi drives might have a slight edge even though these raptor drives has 8Mb of cache...plus these systems "feel" the same.

as for cost...well, its' SATA hands down!!!

cc
                              Last edited by Chucky Cheese; 20 March 2004, 04:32.

Comment

Working...
                              X