External HardDrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External HardDrive

I have an 80 GB USB Western Digital harddrive. And after dealing with WD through emails, they've told me I need to replace the drive. They mentioned I could use one of their suggested data recovery sites to get my data, in other words, pay for their hardware failure. Not only that I get the same model drive in return, which makes me weary considering mine lasted 5 months. Not only that, I'm sure WD will just fix the drive and resell it, so they don't lose anything. Is it me, or does it seem like they are being a little unfair, not even offering free recovery or a different hard drive in return?
    2.4 GHz P4 :: 1024 MB RAM
    533 MHz FSB :: 233 MHz DDR
    64 MB Radeon Mobility
    w/128 MB Video Buffer
    40 GB HD & 120 GB External HD
    DVD/CDRW :: JBL Creature 2 Speakers

Goes to show the value of regular backups
    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Tru dat, but I will prolly end up selling the new drive. Anyone interested? No guarantees....
      64 MB Radeon Mobility
      w/128 MB Video Buffer

Comment

No Hdd manufacturer I know of does any recovery,,in fact they all say the first thing they do is wipe the drive.

You may get an exchange drive you may not, if you know any hdd company that does it differently let me know

Comment

No I don't, WD is sending me a new one as we speak. I'm still debating whether to get it recovered or not, it would cost 95 dollars, but if I really wanted it, I guess there's no price on it. I was reading that the company had recovered data from burnt and submerged (in a river) hard drives. Pretty interesting.
          64 MB Radeon Mobility
          w/128 MB Video Buffer

Comment

well there is always the cheap recovery option, If the electronics died on the drive then you might be able to find a cheap second hand controller board from another drive and replace it yourself...never done it myslef but it has worked for plenty of people.

Comment

WD may charge me for a new on if I take this one apart though, it would void the warranty and they would just say I broke it myself.
              64 MB Radeon Mobility
              w/128 MB Video Buffer

Comment

Rock and a Hardplace , Hope its not critical data.

Get the new drive and always backup important stuff, with HDD companies warrantys dropping down to the minimum they can get away with it more impotant than ever to backup stuff (they don't even trust there own drives anymore)

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
                  No Hdd manufacturer I know of does any recovery,,in fact they all say the first thing they do is wipe the drive.

You may get an exchange drive you may not, if you know any hdd company that does it differently let me know
                  Maxtor gave me a refund for a defective 9GB Quantum Atlas 10K (it exhibited power problems after just over 4 years). It did take them quite some time (drive was sent back in August last year, refund has yet to be deposited), repeated mails and calls.

IBM (now Hitachi) is replacing a defective UltraStar 36LZX. As far as support/RMA replacement go, I'm extremely pleased with Hitachi.

(our Chief Lemon Buyer will probabely end up buying your orginial drive, Shinrock )

Jörg
                  pixar
                  Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                  X