PuRam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PuRam

Introducing the first desktop computer configurable WITHOUT a system hard drive. The Operating system and system files reside on a PuRam™ solid state flash disk with near zero latency and seek times, and burst transfer rates up to 8.5GB/s I/O, capable of over 150,000 I/O requests per second, all with an average of 0.0% CPU utilization. This translates into an effective desktop business productivity of up to 100 times faster than the fastest available hard disk design at any price or configuration. These are non-volatile units just like a regular hard drive with a permanent storage cycle. There are no more virtual memory or swap file delays (since now they are as fast as RAM) and there are no more System Disk Defrags (memory is random so it does not need defragging). Windows boots-up in seconds, load your games and apps in seconds, and start any program virtually instantly.

This came from www.go-l.com. I don't know if anyone else got their popups, but they are giving away a 3.4 GHz computer, so I went to their site, and they have a nice line of supercomputers so to speak. They will be releasing a 4.0 GHz in the near future. I just thought the above technology was pretty interesting, an entire OS sitting on a flash disk. Not to mention these systems support 4 gigs of ram, with up to 16 gigs using ram drives. Wow.
    2.4 GHz P4 :: 1024 MB RAM
    533 MHz FSB :: 233 MHz DDR
    64 MB Radeon Mobility
    w/128 MB Video Buffer
    40 GB HD & 120 GB External HD
    DVD/CDRW :: JBL Creature 2 Speakers

If they are doing pop-ups, then I want nothing to do with it.

Please edit out the site, we don't do spamvertizing here.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Well excuse me, I wasn't trying to "spamvertize", I was just merely posting some interesting hardware, like a lot of people already have, 400 GB SATA, ATI drivers to name a few. I just thought some people might like to read about this new os booting flash disk, don't you?
      64 MB Radeon Mobility
      w/128 MB Video Buffer

Comment

It's just that their ad is patently false. I don't have time to dispute all their claims, but most of them are crap.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

You're right. Most of the speeds are acclerated. The 3.8 speed is an overclocked 3.2, and the 950 FSB is actually an acclerated 800 FSB, but still, the idea of the os and ?system files? sitting on a flash disk brings up some possibilities.
          64 MB Radeon Mobility
          w/128 MB Video Buffer

Comment

It's been done before. Lots. And 0% CPU usage? Just think.

Comment

Well...if they meant mean CPU usage I can see how they could twist it=P

8.5GB/s burst. Heh.

1.73TBredB@1.67(166X10)@1.6V
              ASUS A7N8X
              Corsair 1GB PC3200
              Parhelia 128MB
              EIZO L685EX

Comment

You can't burst 8.5GB/sec into the CPU or in a memory to memory transfer, let alone from anything beyond a bus like PCI (or PCI-X, or PCI Express, or ...).

This sounds a bit unbelievable to me.

Comment

Now now ... there'll be plenty of time for brain eating after we conquer Earth.

In other words, play nice folks.

I've seen several topics on this before, many for and many against, the validity of L-tech computers. If you debate it nicely I won't nuke the thread.

L-tech has sent out some test hardware to MaximumPC, so don't go calling them "patently false" until you've read about someone who's actually used one.

And don't forget about marketing tricks either ... the PCI bus can't handle 8.5 GB/s, but who said the data ever left the HDD?

Jammrock
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Thanks jamm, I think, actually now that you brought up MaximumPC testing them, do you have the info or links where I can find these reviews?
                    64 MB Radeon Mobility
                    w/128 MB Video Buffer

Comment

It IS patently false.
                      Introducing the first desktop computer configurable WITHOUT a system hard drive
                      That's bulls**t, seventeen different ways. Thin clients, floppy-based systems, etc, etc...
                      Last edited by Jammrock; 17 March 2004, 06:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                        It IS patently false. That's bulls**t, seventeen different ways. Thin clients, floppy-based systems, etc, etc...
                        LOL ... there you have a point. Though of the modern desktops...

You always have to remember the difference between technically accurate and marketing accurate. Two completely different things.

Comment

So what you are saying is there's more than one truth. Sounds like something someone in politics would say. It's still incorrect.

Comment

There is always more than one truth, especially when marketing is involved. If you were to present Wombat's arguement to them they would probably say, "Ours is the first modern PC workstation to offer a hard driveless computer." In that respect, at least in teh consumer market, they would probably be right...

All matters on the point of view.

Jammrock

Comment

I see what you mean. I take statements literally for these kinds of things as I prefer to deal with actual facts and not interpretations and routinely marketting types not even necessarilly on purpose skew statements ever so slightly to have something being very close to the truth but somewhat misleading. Oh well, that'll never end.

Comment

Working...
                              X