anti-noise to make PCs quiet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anti-noise to make PCs quiet

Their noise-control unit consists of four tiny loudspeakers and microphones built into the case around a fan.

The four microphones measure the fan's noises and signal a tiny microprocessor that drives the speakers, which make sound waves precisely canceling out the sound waves of the rotating fan blades. From the speakers come a sound pressure inverse to the pressure made by the fan, Sommerfeldt said.
    Now this sounds interesting... (pun intended, ok, bad pun )

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Works, but is prone to interferrence.

Its a nasty cure, tho - use more energy to suppress noise made from waisting energy...

Saw/heard it once at a car show.

My old Atari Falcon could do it, by using its dsp. Had some nice and funny tricks.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

heh... other wise know as phase inversion.... can be nasty when you have a muliti mike setup on stage and sudenly you cant hear somethings are miced..... its also a method used to cut out noise from a recording... one mic is put in the oposit direction of what your are picking up (actual depends on case) then you either invert the cables on that mike or do it in the post... end result.. noise cancelation
      "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

It would be easier just to make a fanless computer and use a silent HDD.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by DukeP
          Works, but is prone to interferrence.

Its a nasty cure, tho - use more energy to suppress noise made from waisting energy...

Saw/heard it once at a car show.

My old Atari Falcon could do it, by using its dsp. Had some nice and funny tricks.

~~DukeP~~
          OMG you had a Falcon?? I never could put my hands on one here! Selling it? j/k

Comment

They've been working on anti-noise for PCs for years. Old news, and it's not there yet.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
              They've been working on anti-noise for PCs for years. Old news, and it's not there yet.
              I'll second that. It'll not only be expensive but won't be anymore effective than reducing noise more than 3-6dB.

Spira it's significantly more involved than simple phase inversion.
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
              X