Thoughtless B*tch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughtless B*tch

A customer of ours moved out of their house and recommended us to the new owners, and the woman called us to ask for help wiring in their home stereo. We went out and helped her at no charge (it was a fairly simple thing, and it was on the way home for my boss, so he helped her out.) She needed a TV and he told her it was sized for a 42" Mitsubishi, that we sold them, and that we would be competitive on the price. Well, today the f*cking b*tch calls the store wanting help hooking up her new Mitsubishi 42" TV which she purchased at the PX, not even giving us a shot at matching their price. If I had known the whole story, I would have made her feel about one inch tall and told her she had some nerve asking us for help when her actions and those of the other ignorant, thoughtless, STUPID masses are driving independents like us (who actually COULD help her) out of business! A big middle finger to all who are this stupid, thoughtless, and crassly without honor. Next time you just automatically shop at some predigested product of big money national marketing or someplace similar, I hope the people in the REAL store who actually helped you and have real expertise tell you to take a flying leap!

I really have no idea where ppl like her get that kind of nerve.
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I know it sucks and that you need to went, but only thing is to politely inform her that you cannot offer support for a product she bought from competition and that she should ask them for help.

Comment

Would have done so, but I didn't know the whole story at the time. And there are just a lot of people nowadays who automatically think they are getting the best price from a huge chain and WILL NOT EVEN CONSIDER shopping at a locally owned business. It doesn't even enter their little pea brains to give us a chance. The more I vent about it, the more people out there in the firmament will understand what they are doing.
        Last edited by KvHagedorn; 15 March 2004, 19:38.

Comment

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people in the military (especially of the older generation) that shop exclusively at the PX/BX. It's not that its a huge chain (it is acctually relatively small, and in and of itself has a HUGE problem staying competative with the likes of best buy and comp usa), its just that it is something that becomes habitual when you have been in the military for some time. It generally starts as a convenience thing, then moves into a "supporting AAFES" thing, then eventually a semi-dependance. If they have ever spent any time overseas they usually become dependant on it, and the older generation remember when the PX/BX used to be cheaper than the local stores.

edit: also, sometimes they do offer some really killer deals and they are tax free, something that can make a huge difference in some things.

edit #2: yes, it does suck. she should have been a bit more mature about things. i had similar experiences when working at the computer store. unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to guarantee the intelligence of customers :/
          Last edited by DGhost; 15 March 2004, 22:06.
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

AAFES Doesn't NEED their support.. it's funded by the tax dollars of legitimate businesses that they suck customers away from. It's like the government handing you a shovel and making you dig your own grave before shooting you in the head.

Comment

I would strongly suggest reading this and then tell me that AAFES is sucking the life out of businesses across the country.

edit: also, read this and the next page in the article and then comment.
              Last edited by DGhost; 15 March 2004, 23:11.
              "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I feel your pain KvH. It happens all the time. A lot of people are really ignorant and just think that because you sell a particular product then you are automatically obliged to help them with their product, even if they bought it elsewhere. I get calls all the time asking what's wrong with this or that and if it's not purchased from our store and not being paid for under some warranty, than it's get your credit card out baby.

I had a fellow call me this morning trying to pick my brain about getting the modem to work in his new computer which he purchased elsewhere. This is after I spent some time diagnosing the problems with his old Pentium PC (which was not worth repair) for free. What is really funny is he sells automobile parts... the next time I have a problem with that rebuilt alternator that I DIDN'T purchase from him, I'll be sure to give him a call.

Later in the day some fellow walked in with a floppy and asked if somebody could print out his document, which just happened to be in some MS Works format. He made a comment about how easy it would be to do this back in Russia because everybody uses the same software. I told him that we didn't have Works installed on any of our PC's and if he wanted to leave it with me for a little while I could get the software installed and get it printed out, BUT it was going to cost him $35 bucks (1/2 hour labor). He made some rude remark about capatalists and said he could buy a printer for that much money. Guess the document wasn't all that important, good thing I didn't waste any time with that dude.

Everybody expects everything for nothing. Well nobody makes any money selling anything anymore, margins on retail are absolutely pathetic, especially in Electronics. Then they get pissed off when your going to charge them to walk them through re-entering the username and password on that router they purchased at Rat Shack. As far as I'm concerned, if you need my help to do it, I'll help, I just won't help for free.

KvH, help her out with her TV and send her a bigass nasty bill for your inconvenience.

:Cheers:
                Alan
                Alcohol and Drugs make life tolerable.

Comment

Well, being as I have been in retail near to Ft. Hood for the past 14 years, I could tell you first hand. It might be a good thing for certain areas, and overseas it's wonderful, but there is no one there who knows anything technical or really helpful about the Audio/Video products they sell. It's just like a Wal-Mart or a Best Buy in that respect. No professional service, just someone behind a counter selling you a box, pretty much.

As to
                  it is acctually relatively small
                  That's not what
                  Sales in fiscal year 1996 totalled $6.9 billion.
                  tells me. Do you want to know what the lemming effect has done to our business? Annual sales about $300,000 and dropping, all because people are brainwashed by national advertising into thinking we are more expensive than the other guy (and that huge advertising expense actually raises their overhead tremendously.) People are just like sheep being led by their noses (and I'm not talking just Army people by any means.. this applies to average Josies who are drawn to Best Buy by all the pretty lights and whatnot ) We are actually very reasonably priced on the products we sell, but no one cares to find out. They just assume. And these are the people who are especially dumb when it comes to setting things up.. people with widescreen TVs who have their DVD player on the default 4:3 setting and DTS turned off.. when we deliver a TV, we set the convergence, configure the remote to work the rest of your stuff and teach you how to work it. Is this appreciated? NO!
                  Last edited by KvHagedorn; 15 March 2004, 23:34.

Comment

And the net sales for Wal-Mart in the year 1996 was in excess of $93 billion (link). Sears had sales in excess of $36 billion (link). Hell, even K-Mart's sales figures were in excess of $31 billion (link).

In the market that *they* are trying to compete against, they are small.

Your arguements about big business versus small business are pretty much the same as everywhere else though. with our computer shops, it was the same arguement against Best Buy or Comp USA - do you want to talk to people who know what they are doing or get the best selection? thankfully, the business i worked for was able to successfully leverage this in marketing and positioning themselves in the market.
                    Last edited by DGhost; 16 March 2004, 00:09.

Comment

Yes, things would be better if we could afford to advertise on TV a lot, but unfortunately we can't.

Comment

We acctually hardly advertised on TV. We did a lot of radio advertising, and some advertising in the local free computer magazines. Something to get prices out and about, so people could see what was going on. Radio advertising was also far more effective and cheaper than TV advertising.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                          Yes, things would be better if we could afford to advertise on TV a lot, but unfortunately we can't.

you can always send out spam.. it is cheap
                          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Add to the "I'm sorry, we can't service compeditors products"
                            "Gosh lady, we could have saved you $35 on that tv, but the sale is over now."
                            chuck
                            Chuck
                            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
                              Add to the "I'm sorry, we can't service compeditors products"
                              "Gosh lady, we could have saved you $35 on that tv, but the sale is over now."
                              chuck
                              And charge her at least $80.00 for the service call and $50.00/hr to set it up......LOL
                              "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Working...
                              X