Pronunciations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pronunciations?

So in the case of id Software, is it "id rhymes with did" or is it "id as in I.D. as in eye-dee"?

VIA? "v-eye-uh" or "vee-uh"? I usually say "v-eye-uh", but I hear "vee-uh" and occasionally "useless garbage" every now and then.

I say I.D. Software, but that is probably wrong.

I also say VEE-UH and I think that is correct.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

last i checked, they named it after the freudian concept of the "id". i usually pronounce it like that, although i used to say ID.

generally i say vee-uh too. sometimes i just call it crap. take your pick.

ahh, here is the quote...

id - Freud's primal part of the human psyche and one of the hottest game shops on Earth - has been rocking the gaming world from Mesquite, Texas since 1991.
      straight from their website...

edit: yes, i also pronouce SCSI as "scuzzy" and linux like "minix" or "unix".
      Last edited by DGhost; 14 March 2004, 14:51.
      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I always though it was pronounced as VIaaaaaaaarg?

Comment

speacking of which...... MURC with a K sound at the end or an S
          "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

you should pronounce it as MURzltkst

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus
              you should pronounce it as MURzltkst
              Cool, then I've said it right all along!

Anyway, can someone please explain to me why it's "pronunciation" if the verb is "to pronounce" ?
              I've never gotten over that one. I always write "pronounciation".

Comment

Because it's English. It's not supposed to make sense. Jeez..

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn

In fact, I think it's supposed to make no sense.

Id rhymes with did, VIA is like see-ya, wouldn't want to be-ya.

- Steve

Comment

I've always gone with saying "id" rhyming with did. As for VIA, I''ve always pronouced each letter separately, Vee, Eye, A....chipset.
                    RC Agent
                    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz, MSI 785GT-E63, 6 GB(2x1GB, 2x2GG) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Asus EAH4850 TOP
                    AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz, ASRock A790GXH/128M BIOS 1.7, 4 GB(2x2GB) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Gigabyte HD 6850 1GB DDR5
                    AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7GHz, Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 BIOS 2501 , 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 1866 CL9 Crucial BallisticX(BLT4G3D1869DT1TX0) , Sapphire HD7870 2GB GDDR5 OC, Seasonic 850w powers supply

Comment

i always pronounce VIA as vee-ya so as to differentiate from the word via (vai-ya)
                      Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                      ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Oor the circuit board term vee-ya (a small plated hole to bring a trace from one signal level to another).

- Steve

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn

is pro is the opposite of con...

what's the opposite of progress?

..or protest.

or constant.

/meow
                          Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
                          Asus Striker ][
                          8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
                          Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia

I also say VEE-UH and I think that is correct.

dittto
                            www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Both Oxford and Merriam-Webster give both pronunciations of via, with vye-a as the first one (presumably preferred). I have always said vye-a when using it as a preposition (the bus went to Chelsea via Kensington) or for a hole in a printed circuit, but I use vee-a when talking about Italian/Roman roads (Via Appia). I suppose this is lip service to Latin, although the Romans would have pronounced it wee-a.
                              Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
                              X