SATA 12X Plextor DVD Burner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SATA 12X Plextor DVD Burner

The latest news and headlines from Yahoo News. Get breaking news stories and in-depth coverage with videos and photos.

Lots of good info in this article.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Problem is, so far most of addon controllers don't yet support ATAPI devices.

The chipset integrated controllers should support them, but on lot's of motherboards, SATA is done with separate chip.

Comment

Actually, the Sil line of chips all support ATAPI (mostly the ones used on motherboards). The problem with using SATA-PATA adaptors is that almost all of them use Marvell chips. These do not support ATAPI. The promise ones, I don't know about.
      MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

Why wouldn't one put the EIDE drives on paralell ATA channel anyway? Wouldn't it be better to sitck the higher speed UltraATA drives on the serial ata connections with the adapters? Or does the board just not have paralell ATA?

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU
          Problem is, so far most of addon controllers don't yet support ATAPI devices.

The chipset integrated controllers should support them, but on lot's of motherboards, SATA is done with separate chip.
          What's wrong with this?

Dave
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama
            Why wouldn't one put the EIDE drives on paralell ATA channel anyway? Wouldn't it be better to sitck the higher speed UltraATA drives on the serial ata connections with the adapters? Or does the board just not have paralell ATA?
            AFAIK, all mobos that have SATA also have PATA.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama

OEMs like SATA and with BTX, which will be embraced by OEMs first, PATA will be gone. Next year SATA Opticals will become mainstream.

WRT to ATX-BTX, ATX came out in 1995 and you could still buy SLOT1 or Socket 370 motherboards untill 1998/1999 that were AT, so IMO it will also take a few years for transition.

Comment

Opticals will be late to the SATA show like they've been late of all things ATA (some of them are barely ATA33 now!).

I hope manufacturers will move their arses or we'll be stuck with hybrid tech for another couple of years....

Comment

Working...
                X