Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back in the market for a dvcam. Deal fell through. Read this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back in the market for a dvcam. Deal fell through. Read this...

As many of you know I have been looking for a DV camera for quite a while. I finally decided on the SonyTRV 900. Although I really should know better, I ordered one from one of the Brooklyn vendors, "The Digital Dog."

Here's the tale.

Price $1699 shipped. I call on Dec 22 and they say I can have it at that price but it won't ship until Jan 22. No thanks. I hang up.

A few minutes later I call back and get a different salesperson. I ask her why if it's in stock I can have it faster than Jan 22 like the other salesman told me. She tells me "that's crazy," I can have it "in your hands" on Jan 5. I say okay let's do it.

Next day I notice the price on their website drops to $1640. I call and get a pricematch credit on my VISA. Credit does appear on my bill. I'm feeling okay.

This place bills VISA upon sale and not shipping, I don't like that.

Jan 5 comes and goes. I e-mail the salesperson asking what's going on. She says shipping delays incurred. New date Jan 19!

I call. She's not in. Talk to another salesperson. I ask what's going on. In fact I ask in general why these places don't ship product they say they have in stock. I suspect they are playing with their "float" on the money since they get paid by VISA immediately. He puts me on hold. I think he talked to the manager about what to do. Obviously nothing because after 5 minutes I got the customer service answering machine. I leave a message telling them to cancel my order on account of unacceptable delivery time.

I also e-mail my salesperson to cancel the order. She replied the next day that she personally cancelled the order and VISA will be credited in 7-10 working days.

I next called VISA and put the charge into dispute.

I still don't think this is over.

Does anybody know what these places are doing? What's the scam. Another similar place "Regency Camera" has the TRV listed $1539 and $81 shipping.

Any new camera's coming up the pike. I'm back in the market!
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Nothin' wrong with the TRV900. Just buy one from a reputable dealer...

Comment

I know it's another NY/Bronx retailer, but I had a really good experience from "Worldwide Direct" - www.buydig.com. More particularly, consumer reports about these folks have been very good - I used to know of a website that let people comment on their transactions with on-line services, but I've since lost it.

- Aryko

Comment

http://www.resellerratings.com

Michelle

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I'm starting to waffle between the GL1 and the TRV900 again.

I feel the pull of that great Canon lens and 30fps progressive scan...

- Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Working...
          X