Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What program?

Hi!

My brother got a nice Canon digital Ixus today and wants to do just some basic things (brightness, contrast,...) with the pictures - what app would you recommend?

Personally I like photoshop, but since he is a real computer/imaging n00b, I think other, especially simpler, programs would suit him better.

What about paintshop pro? Or photoshop elements?

Thanks for your help, Hannes

Paintshop pro is nice cheap proggie. I think you can download version 5 for nothing.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

IrfanView

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

The Gimp?

It's free, and does a lot of stuff.

- Steve

Comment

Thanks for all your tips! I think I'm gonna have a look at IrfanView (never heared of that before), maybe I try paintshop pro later.

Thanks for the tip to try the Gimp, since I didn't know that a win32 build is available! I used it a bit in linux, so I know that it is more like photoshop - great program! But maybe a bit too hard for my brother ;-)).

Greets, Hannes

Comment

edit (censored):
            Removed inappropriate reference to warez (see comment by Az)

Jörg

Ohhh shit!! sorry guys!!
            Won't happen again...

Guchi.
            Last edited by GuchiGuh; 18 March 2004, 03:38.

Comment

Umm... Guchi....

XnView isn't bad either.

Comment

Photoshop Album 2.0
                Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Guchi, we don't advertise warez here.

Also, I don't quite believe you need PS7 for uni, and if you really did, I'm sure there's a students license available.

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Thanks for your tips! XnView looks really interesting!

Cheers, Hannes

Comment

@az: THey have student licences for Photoshop, Macromedia, Office, XP, Mac OS etc etc. but they are still expensive. My friends and me rely on private soffware.
                      We got more important things to spend my money on, than on software.
                      Last edited by GuchiGuh; 18 March 2004, 04:08.

Comment

Yes, it is true that software takes a huge gap out of the budget. Doesn't the university offer PC rooms where you can work ? (or are they always reserved/occupied, as was the case in my university)

However, the notion of software is strange. One is willing to pay money for equipment, but somehow, software should be free... (Guchi: don't take this personally, everybody thinks this way) People tend to forget the work/investment that goes into development of software, but true, I think there should be cheaper prices for people wanting to use software non-commercially.

(I bought Nikon Capture 3.5 to manipulate my photographs (most expensive 12 characters I ever bought ), and in a sense it gives me more benefits that had I bought e.g. another lens).

Jörg

PS: Guchi: apologies accepted !
                        pixar
                        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ

PS: Guchi: apologies accepted !

you know it actually scared me quite a bit when I was my post edited! thought I got banned or something!
                          but yah, sorry bout that. Waiting for az's reply...

Comment

Originally posted by GuchiGuh
                            you know it actually scared me quite a bit when I was my post edited! thought I got banned or something!
                            but yah, sorry bout that. Waiting for az's reply...
                            Following the forum rules

(last line, in red),
                            I felt I should remove the text, to prevent any trouble coming from it. I must admit I doubted before I deleted your text, but I stand by my decission.

Jörg
                            pixar
                            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

You did the right thing VJ. To be honest I didn't know that Kaaza was considered as Warez. But I understand now.

Comment

Working...
                              X