ASUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS

It's not the wrong forum dude. We talk hardware here too, or at least as it pertains to editing.

As for the P3V4x, I haven't tried one YET. From what I've read on Toms Hardware and Anandtech (among others) it sounds real decent. Certainly the KT133A chipset should make it a decent performer, but a board with DDR memory capability would be better.

My choice: ABIT KT7 with a big TBird & some DDR RAM. Fastashell. I wouldn't get the one with onboard RAID though. I don't like HighPoints chips.

Mine will be installed sometime next month, unless something faster comes along from ASUS

Dr. Mordrid

ASUS

i know, wrong room - or even forum, but i'm stuck ! DOC.... what do u think of the ASUS P3V4x motherboard for a G400 Marvel system ?

thnx
    Asus P2B @ 100Mhz
    PIII 800 / 133Mhz running @100MHZ = 600MHZ!!! VIA Asus Slotkey
    SimpleTECH 128MB X 3/ 100Mhz
    IBM 9.GB Ultrawide Scsi LVD
    IBM 18gb secondary drive @ 7200
    Maxtor 37GB storage drive @ 5400
    Marvel G200 TV
    Microtek E6 scanner via scsi card {adaptec 1502}
    HP CD12ri CDRW 12X10X32 BurnProof!
    Creative Infra48 CD ROM
    Creative AWE64 Gold [ISA]
    Realtek Chip NIC 10/100
    21' Samsung Syncmaster 1000p
    Firewire card
    Mini USB hub
    8 port Compex 10/100 hub
    Sandisk Reader - USB
    Cordless Logitec Mouse
    Iomega Zip100 [the old ugly one!]
    HP 1220 C - A3 printer

Comment

sorry DOC, u lost me there ! The P3V4x is a Via based board and i would like to slap an PIII 800 on it with 512 ram, i don't quite get the KT7... My concern is that it doesn't use the BX chip like the motherboard i am using now P2B or the one you have i think the P3b, watcha think ? also do you see much diff if in running at 133 as opposed to 100 [bus speed] in real terms that is ?

thnax
      Asus P2B @ 100Mhz
      PIII 800 / 133Mhz running @100MHZ = 600MHZ!!! VIA Asus Slotkey
      SimpleTECH 128MB X 3/ 100Mhz
      IBM 9.GB Ultrawide Scsi LVD
      IBM 18gb secondary drive @ 7200
      Maxtor 37GB storage drive @ 5400
      Marvel G200 TV
      Microtek E6 scanner via scsi card {adaptec 1502}
      HP CD12ri CDRW 12X10X32 BurnProof!
      Creative Infra48 CD ROM
      Creative AWE64 Gold [ISA]
      Realtek Chip NIC 10/100
      21' Samsung Syncmaster 1000p
      Firewire card
      Mini USB hub
      8 port Compex 10/100 hub
      Sandisk Reader - USB
      Cordless Logitec Mouse
      Iomega Zip100 [the old ugly one!]
      HP 1220 C - A3 printer

Comment

Hi Dizzynoodle,

After I was unable to find a P3B over here in the UK, I settled for an Asus A7V with an 800Mhz Tbird and 128Mb of PC133 RAM. I haven't got it fully trained up yet, but it's well on it's way (DV cap up and running AT LAST after downloading the latest ADS drivers, HW MJPEG is fine but still haven't bottomed out the SW capture route smoothly yet)

Comment

I've had bad experience with tha VIA Apollo chipset in a Tyan board. It assigned all IRQs for each PCI and AGP device to the same IRQ - there was no way to assign IRQs from the CMOS setup, and Windows ME wouldn't let me assign them from Device Manager. With a G200 it would randomly crash the system. If I swapped the G200 with a G400 it was more stable, and a second BX based system had no problems with the G200 - indicating the card itself was OK.

I visited the Matrox Support forum at the time and asked for help. They couldn't offer a solution so I was forced to return the motherboard and buy a used BX chipset one to replace it.

I tried the latest 4in1 VIA drivers and reinstalled the OS, etc. Nothing helped. When I viewed the postings at the Matrox Support Forum I saw that there were dozens of people using VIA chipset boards having the same problems - random lockups and crashes, and sometimes lines like prison bars going horizontally or vertically across the screen. In my case I was lucky if the system stayed up for more than a minute.

I've decided to stay away from VIA for Intel CPU based motherboards. One way to locate a good BX motherboard is on eBay.

VIA Apollo chipset needs more testing. I'm very surprised that companies like Asus and Tyan are going with this crap.

Comment

Working...
          X