$1 million bill leads to arrest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $1 million bill leads to arrest

A Georgia woman who tried to use a fake $1 million bill to buy $1,675 worth of merchandise at Wal-Mart was arrested, and police later found two more of the bills in her purse.

The U.S. Treasury does not make $1 million bills, but similar-looking currency is sold in some souvenir shops. The fake bill featured a picture of the Statue of Liberty, police said.

"It looks real, but of course there's nothing real about this," said Stacey Cotton, police chief in Covington, about 30 miles southeast of Atlanta. "People do crazy things all the time."

A store clerk immediately noticed the bill was fake when 35-year-old Alice Regina Pike handed it to her on Friday, Cotton said.

Pike then tried to use two gift cards worth only $2.32 to buy the merchandise, but when that did not work she again asked to cash the $1 million bill, Cotton said. The store then called police.

Pike was jailed on forgery charges. A woman who answered the phone at the jail said she did not know if Pike has a lawyer.

What a moron.

D'uh, gimme change for dis million dollar bill please.

Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

here's some more numbskulls
      http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D8170AM00.html
      http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D816RSQG0.html
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Want to bet they'd do the same if she had a real $100,000 bill?

... or not have if she'd tried to cash a confererate bill
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Anyone with one of the few real $100,000 bills would be a fool to try and spend it, especially at Wal-Mart.

Comment

Ok, this made me laugh. I tried to click on one of the links gt40 posted above, and it was blocked by my organization's internet filter. Apparently someone has a filter for the keyword "excite". Don't want our employees getting too excited now, esp. over a search engine.
            --Insert something here--

Comment

this is why i drive straight through Georgia without stopping.
              www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Sounds like the person had mental health issues - I have seen this behaviour @ work (I do work in an 'institution')

RedRed
                Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Some of the managers at the store I worked at for 15 months would have taken the bill. The only good/fun part of Wal-Mart was chasing the thieves.

Comment

How can she be charged with forgery? You can only forge something that exists. Attempted fraud would stick, but not forgery.

Oh! Wait a minute, I only have a $750,000 float in my till, I'll have to get some more change. Sure! Her IQ must be somewhere between 0 and 1.
                    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
                    X