Now here is an itresting bit of Inovation 1PC 2users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now here is an itresting bit of Inovation 1PC 2users

and the sys requierments arnt overboard...
    "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

It would be much more of an innovation if it hadn't been done 30 years ago

I don't remember the brand(s) of the terminals (I think IBM was one), but there used to be terminals that used a single monitor and two keyboards. The monitor sat facing up, and the two people faced each other - they each got half the screen, reflected by a mirror so they could see it.

This is cool, though.

- Steve

Comment

i could see its usses in offices where supper duper PCs are not a major requierment but space and budget is... like wise at school computer labs and internet cafes... not to mention at home to avoied the usal sibling rivelry when it comes to the use of one PC for the kids and the biger one for dady or momy which would be offlimits.....
      "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Er... we already have thin terminals running citrix clients here - ie effectively LOTS of users (>>2) running their office apps on a central server with just a dumb-ish client in front of them. Not quite the same solution as this though.

Would be quite a good use of a dual-head card gfx card and an extra USB keyboard/mouse - two users, two screens, two kb/m - one base unit. Although honestly PCs are so relatively cheap (considering how much they are used in the workplace), and can be made small enough, that I don't really see the need.
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

It's a nice idea for the casual home user, but for schools and businesses, there is a better way: Terminal Servers are making a BIG comeback in IT. Diskless Thin Clients booting from Network Servers running Linux or WindowsCE are becoming more and more common. They run fairly low-powered hardware: 200-400MHz Low heat processors and run directly off either the terminal server or they connect to an Application server. And they run like a cat with it's tail on fire.

Windows XP SP2 is going to offer add-on tablet/display support for a second user to share a central machine directly. 2 Keyboards, 2 Mice, 2 Monitors running completely independant of one another.
          Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

things run difrently here in leb .... i would be surprised to find terminal servers offering services to thin clients..... for some strange reason every one here seems to need a full capacity PC .... yet they barly use it for word prossing... excel email and web... maby some music but thats about it... the entier campus here at uni has just been updatedto Pentium IV systems... mostly of the workstation class... sveral G5 (well the graphic designe classes need them for sure but who orders a G5 just to brows the net and do some word prossesing.... ) OTH our studio still lacks a decent DAW system (no funds they claim) although they have recently bought an AVID MC adrenelin system for $50K (and we only do DV here... and no there are no future plans to expand beond DV.... i had such a fit when they got that machine... i told them we have congestion problems when at the end of the term every one wants to edit their projects... one NLE is not enugh.... the one you got is way too powerfull for our needs.... and what if it conks out at crunch time... what woud hapen to the students then? i argued that with $50K they could have gotten 5 beefed up Avid XpressPro systems instead...... but try getting them to listen to me... hek,,, even when they bought the DV deks back a few years ago they did not ask for fierwier compatebility..... ie... they now have an over priced over powerfull system to use for DV work that is being loaded on to the NLE system not via Fierwier... not via component (allthough they can do it easily) but through a composit conection..... even AVID Xpress Pro with Mojo and a $90 can give them component in and out......

they: but it has HD compatibility...

me: oh right.. you guys barly have three oudated DV ENG/EFP camers that have too mutch ware and tare ... students who barly know how to use them and you are going to get HD camers and equipment now...

them: we are not going to get HD equioment ... but this machin can do HD

Me: sure it can... with an HD optional add on board that you DONT have with this system......

but do they listen ... no they dont.... the latest trend now... every one wants a portable......

but when it comes to say "enhancing" our accdemic standards.. "no funds ATM" .... fixing and upgrading our obsoleet audio studio "no funds ATM" .....

arg......

Comment

Hell, we did this with Z80 chips in the late 70's/early 80's. Eight users with their own keyboard and display running off of one Z80B processor (6 MHz I believe).
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

The fun thing with thin clients it they cost more than actual PCs...

So I'm really sure schools and all can't wait to jump on the bandwagon...

Comment

not really:

support is a lot cheaper as well

(although having said all that, I haven't noticed that many thin clients around the office - only regular desktops and laptops perhaps even with a few citrix clients running on those machines for particular apps...
                  DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

X11 anyone?
                    -Slougi

Comment

I find it odd that you can't find a picture showing it setup...

Jeff
                      -We stop learning when We die, and some
                      people just don't know They're dead yet!

Member of the COC!
                      Minister of Confused Knightly Defence (MCKD)

Food for thought...
                      - Remember when naps were a bad thing?
                      - Remember 3 is the magic number....

Comment

WYSE TCs are quite affordable if purchased in reasonable quantities. They are pretty reliable, too. And considering that if you are using them as a client to a central server, they are more or less future-proof: All you need to do is upgrade the Server. Patch Management, software licensing and hardware book keeping are vastly simplified. For the majority of office users, TCs make much more sense, even for smaller businesses.

I'm seriously considering reconfiguring my Wife and Daughter's computers as Thin Clients. Neither of them game, and for what they using the machine for, I can better cater to their needs (and address issues they may have). I could get a couple of those Swanky Mini-ITX machines and configure them as TCs in a heartbeat. Quiet, Low Power Consumption: Just what the doctor ordered.
                        Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

We use a poor mans terminal server here: configure a 'fast' computer with linux as a server, configure some older computers (Pentiums, PentiumIIs) as XServers.

The old computers connect to the server, where they run their applications. And if one of those applications is VMWare...

MultiMediaMan: Hmm, those extensions in XP SP2 look very nice...

Jörg
                          pixar
                          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
                            not really:

support is a lot cheaper as well

(although having said all that, I haven't noticed that many thin clients around the office - only regular desktops and laptops perhaps even with a few citrix clients running on those machines for particular apps...
                            that's twice the price allright

[and you haven't paid your Citrix just yet...]

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                              We use a poor mans terminal server here: configure a 'fast' computer with linux as a server, configure some older computers (Pentiums, PentiumIIs) as XServers.

The old computers connect to the server, where they run their applications. And if one of those applications is VMWare...

MultiMediaMan: Hmm, those extensions in XP SP2 look very nice...

Jörg
                              Why's that a poor mans terminal server? =)
                              -Slougi

Comment

Working...
                              X