Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• harddisk vibration

Hello,

I'm having issues with an IBM UltraStar 36lzx (10K U160 SCSI drive). I ran Drive Fitness Tools and contacted IBM/Hitachi. They are very fast to react , and give this answer:
    I have now analysed your DFT log file and found that the drive suffers from too much vibration. That would explain the problems you are having because
    I assume the vibration prevents the heads from reading and writing to the drive properly.

Therefore I suggest that this drive needs to be replaced.
    edit: (perhaps not clear in this excerpt): they will RMA the drive.

This 'too much vibration', is that internally in the drive, or should I change anything to the case ?

My case is a Lian Li PC70 ( http://www.lian-li.com/product.php?a...ewPD&prdid=374 ), the drive is mounted in the bottom front drivecage, together with a Seagate Cheetah 10K.6. Both drives are mounted on their side (which is ok, according to the manuals), and fixed with 4 screws/drive. The drivecage itself is also firmly fixed to the chassis, and the chassis is positioned stable. There are 6 places to put a harddisk in this cage, if you number them from left to right (1 to 6), my drives are in positions 2 and 5.
    There appears to be no freedom at all (as far as I can tell).
    (there are no road-works or construction sites in the vicinity; no heavy traffic; no earthquakes; building is 5 stories, I'm on the third floor)

So, should I worry the vibrations come from an external source (and if so, how can I tell and what can I do) or not ?

Jörg
    Last edited by VJ; 9 March 2004, 09:35.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Nah, I doubt your case or setup has anything to do with it.

That drive is a 7200rpm gyroscope. If it's got a little issue with the weight distribution, that drive is going to shake itself crazy because the axle won't be centered.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Good for you they RMA the drive.

Once I had an IBM techie that refused to give me an RMA for a bad sectors problem. I had explained that it had happened right after shutting down the PC. So the guy started lecturing me on the fact that dropping drives or mistreatig them was not covered by the warranty (the argument lasted a good 10mins). He had a hard time believing sh*t happens apparently...I got pretty pissed off too but they finally RMA'd the drive...
      Last edited by Kurt; 9 March 2004, 16:15.

Comment

Wombat: 10K gyroscope... But yes, that is true... I actually bought the case in the first place because of the 10K drives: adequate cooling, proper mounting, ...

Kurt: Hitachi (who bought the IBM harddisk division) seem to do a great support-job. This 10K drive is mine, but at work we had an IBM Deskstar (7200) crashing: it gave numerous bad sectors, stopped spinning, ... We sent it back (through the dealer) and got a new one. No arguments. The drive was just the last week within warranty.

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

shiett.. IBM was always great for us to RMA drives to... they would take RMA's back for just about anything (including the "vibration" issue)...
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost
            shiett.. IBM was always great for us to RMA drives to... they would take RMA's back for just about anything (including the "vibration" issue)...
            You mean you also had drives that exhibited this ?

Yesterday, I tried to copy the files on it to another disk. The drive kept delaying the reads, XP kept adding to the eventlog, but it did work... (at one time took well over 10 minutes to copy 100 MB )

Jörg
            pixar

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost
              Not always. During the Deathstar thing they stopped doing cross-shipping.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                Wombat: 10K gyroscope... But yes, that is true... I actually bought the case in the first place because of the 10K drives: adequate cooling, proper mounting, ...

Kurt: Hitachi (who bought the IBM harddisk division) seem to do a great support-job. This 10K drive is mine, but at work we had an IBM Deskstar (7200) crashing: it gave numerous bad sectors, stopped spinning, ... We sent it back (through the dealer) and got a new one. No arguments. The drive was just the last week within warranty.

Jörg
                I haven't had trouble with them since, I just didn't need to RMA a drive...

Anyway, I'm sure IBM was doing a good job too - I just happened to talk to the daft-star...

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                  You mean you also had drives that exhibited this ?

Yesterday, I tried to copy the files on it to another disk. The drive kept delaying the reads, XP kept adding to the eventlog, but it did work... (at one time took well over 10 minutes to copy 100 MB )

Jörg
                  yes. i've had drives that when removed entirely from the system seemed to run a bit hot, made a bit too much noise and seemed to vibrate a little too much. we RMA'd them when we noticed it - i believe i was having some errors with the thing, but nothing major. a random case of bad sectors that would disappear and reappear.

edit: as an update, i should point out that we were RMAing the ATA/100 Desktars (75GXP's and up) instead. the "we" i am refering to was acctually also the computer shop i was working for, so they were usually very good about handling RMA's.

also... Wombat... we never really dealt with them doing cross shipping... so...
                  Last edited by DGhost; 10 March 2004, 21:44.
                  "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Working...
                  X