ULEAD Announces HIGH DEFINITION Plug-In For MEDIASTUDIO PRO 7.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ULEAD Announces HIGH DEFINITION Plug-In For MEDIASTUDIO PRO 7.0

I just noticed something new on the Ulead Web site.

Looks like I'm going to have to order that new JVC (HDV) high definition camcorder sooner than I had planned:

Turn your life’s best moments into stunning movies with Corel VideoStudio! Get creative with drag-and-drop stylish templates, artistic filters, titles, transitions, and the whole palette of advanced editing tools. Get your FREE trial.

JVC GR-HD1US:

JVC JY-HD10U:

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!
    Last edited by Jerry Jones; 9 March 2004, 10:45.

Looks interesting.

Is the HD recording format I-frame only MPEG-2?

What is the colorspace?

Bitrate?

Audio appears to be MPEG layer for audio when using HD video. I guess they are scrapping for every bit.

Does anybody have a link to this new consumer HD video format standard?

- Mark
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Are they for real about 35 lux minimum illumination? Hopefully that's a typo!

Much as I want more resolution I'd never get any use from it if it really needs this much light.

--wally.

Comment

There are some *very* interesting articles on the JVC professional Web site page at the following link:

The article at the bottom is from TV Technology.

"Another alternative is available from Ulead Systems, which has been editing MPEG in its native format for more than three years."

"As of Feb. 27, an HDV plug-in will be available for its Media Studio Pro 7 editing application for $299 that can capture the HDV transport stream and edit it on the timeline in MPEG as a program stream, "as if it were any other piece of video," says Travis White, product marketing manager at Ulead."

"We can decode the GOP and create new I-frames at the cut point. That gives you frame accuracy without first transcoding the MPEG."

"Because of the variable bitrate nature of MPEG, Ulead identifies the location of a cut point based on the time stamp, or presentation time, of the stream."

"Once there, they decipher the GOP and slice it where the edit is intended."

"Then Ulead's system decodes the GOP and re-encodes the last frame as an I frame to cap off the edit."

"That way nothing is lost, but the MPEG stream of HDV has been edited without the quality loss of transcoding."

Jerry Jones

Comment

Well, I bought the plug-in.

I couldn't resist.

:-)

Now ULEAD MediaStudio Pro 7.01's VIDEO CAPTURE program features entirely new options.

So the plug-in seamlessly integrates with ULEAD MediaStudio Pro 7.0's VIDEO CAPTURE program.

When I click SETUP > DEVICE CONTROL, I now see a new "HDV 1394 Device Control" option.

In addition, when I open ULEAD MediaStudio Pro 7.0's VIDEO EDITOR program, I observe the standard NEW menu appear.

When I choose MPEG FILES in the EDIT FILE FORMAT drop-down list, I now observe new JVC HD-NTSC and JVC SD-NTSC templates.

Very cool.

Jerry Jones

Comment

Check this out.

The JVC HD-NTSC template features the following project settings:

NTSC drop frame (29.97 fps)
            Overlay track(s):3
            MPEG files
            24 Bits, 1280 x 720, 29.97 fps
            Frame-based
            (MPEG-2)
            Video data rate: 18300 kbps
            Audio data rate: 384 kbps
            MPEG audio layer 2, 48 KHz, Stereo

The JVC SD-NTSC template features the following settings:

NTSC double frame rate (60 fps)
            Overlay track(s):3
            MPEG files
            24 Bits, 720 x 480, 59.94 fps
            Frame-based
            (MPEG-2)
            Video data rate: 18000 kbps
            Audio data rate: 384 kbps
            MPEG audio layer 2, 48 KHz, Stereo

Frame-based would make sense in this case.

Very interesting, eh?

Jerry Jones

Comment

Very interesting indeed, but not if the cameras to produce it really require 35 lux to deliver a usable image!

Anyone know the real scoop on the JVC GR-HD1US sensitivity?

--wally.

Comment

From one of the review articles (second one) in Jerry's "attributes" link:

"Using the strict Japanese sensitivity standard, JVC Japan specs the camera's sensitivity at 35 lux, at 6dB gain. (The video AGC can apply up to 6dB gain.) In my experience with the camera, light sensitivity with the AGC enabled was acceptable in well-lit situations, although I had to use a 1/30 second shutter speed."

Latter in the article:

"What's clear from my testing is that the JY-HD10 — like all cameras that use small, megapixel CCDs — must be used in a manner that is consistent with its CCD's low sensitivity and low latitude. For example, I got my best shots on bright, cloudy days. For photographers who have shot 35mm slides or 16mm positive film, none of this is difficult to comprehend. JVC, however, is responsible for the poor AE system that aggravates attempts to solve the “expected” exposure problems. The poor viewfinder and slow AF system further fuel shooter frustration."

Got me all hot and bothered for nothin' I'd have near zero use for a camera needing this much light.

--wally.

Comment

The LUX rating has not been much of an issue with those who own the cam. In fact many users report that is has quite acceptable low light shooting. Check out DV-info net or Creative Cow for some active forums on these cams. Dv info net is the most established, so you can search on most any subject.

The cam needs to be treated more as a film cam than a run and gun cam. Care with lighting, filters and movement. But the images it can produce are astounding if shot in the right hands.
                  Cineform's AspectHD is the best way to edit HDV at the moment, although Uleads plug-in is the first to support editing in the 60p mode!
                  Ken
                  Oh my god MAGNUM!

Comment

I've no doubt it can be a great camcorder. My problem is I do event video and have essentially zero control over the lighting. Usually even an on camera video light is deemed too intrusive.

Bigger problem right now is lack of HD distribution media, with D-VHS seeming the only game in town right now -- I've seen the decks for ~$500 so it not too far from feasible, but I doubt most folks will want any kind of tape after using DVDs. Maybe if Blue-Ray catches on quickly......

--wally.

Comment

There are some comparisons between the GR-HD1 and the JY-HD10 on the Web page at the following link:

Also - something that alarms me is the PDF manual for the HIGH DEFINITION plug-in that I found on the Web page at the following link:

Turn your life’s best moments into stunning movies with Corel VideoStudio! Get creative with drag-and-drop stylish templates, artistic filters, titles, transitions, and the whole palette of advanced editing tools. Get your FREE trial.

The PDF manual specifies a 3.0ghz PENTIUM 4 as a MINIMUM for using the plug-in!

My three workstations are as follows:

- 2.5ghz INTEL

- 1.67ghz AMD

- 2.0ghz AMD

I wonder if one of these computer would be enough to "get by."

?

Jerry Jones

Comment

The Cineform AspectHD codec as well needs a beefy system. 800fsb 2.8+ ghz. Dual channel ram. That visually lossless codec requires SSE2 and very high memory bandwidth specific to the P4. The benefit? RT effects engine and colour correction in HD ;>)

Lack of HD distribution is not so much of concern right now. The main benefit of the cam is to downscale to produce true 16x9 SD DVD. This affords some very professional looking material, light and day compared to a MiniDV derived DVD. As well true HD content can be encoded with WM9 on CD or DVD.
                        Ken
                        Oh my god MAGNUM!

Comment

I just ordered the JVC GR-HD1 high definition model.

Apparently, the only major difference between the GR-HD1 and the JY-HD10 is one explained at the end of the video at the following link:

I look forward to working with the JVC HDV format and the opportunity to compare it to ordinary DV25.

Jerry Jones

Comment

Warning - the HD1 has intense Edge Enhancement (EE) Many users thought they could live with that feature based on the cost savings, but wish they had ponied up for the HD10. The HD10 also has some fine tuning of the image over the HD1.
                            PS- get some ND filters
                            Ken
                            Oh my god MAGNUM!

Comment

Thanks.

I yesterday visited my local Ultimate Electronics store where they had the GR-HD1 connected to a JVC high definition plasma monitor.

The pictures were gorgeous, in my humble opinion.

So I guess I can live with a little edge enhancement.

Jerry Jones

Comment

Working...
                              X