Argh! Networking annoyance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argh! Networking annoyance.

I've somehow managed to stuff up Windows networking just a tiny amount.

Every webpage in the known universe is mine to view. Except, that is, www.popcap.com.

At some point in the last few months my computer decided that Popcap is a no-go site.

In Opera if I stick the name in the bar then it flashes up the connecting bar and then sticks with a blank window. If I use IE it just says 'cannot find server or DNS failure'.

If I ping www.popcap.com it works.
    If I nslookup popcap it works
    If I tracert to www.popcap.com it works.
    If I use my girlfriend's laptop downstairs it works

If I try to connect to the site using the only way that will actually allow me to play their delicious collection of timewasting treats it just doesn't work.

I have tried everythgin in my (admittedly limited) arsenal of network troubleshooting and it just sits there, like a site I cannot access.

Any suggestions?

Uberlad
    -------------------------
    8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
    5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

yeah, first we need to resolve if it's a name lookup issue or not.

Can you type the IP into the browser? Does that work? (Note: it may not work for some virtually hosted setups, I don't know what popcap is).

If yes, then see what DNS servers you are using.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

After you do that, go to tools, internet options, security, restricted sites, select the sites button, and see if that site is listed in the restricted list.
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Try Mozilla.

(heh heh )

- Steve

Comment

Right - more things that don't work.

I can get to the google cache version of the site, but clicking on anything obviously takes me straight to the real site and failure.

Sticking the IP in the browsers has the same effect as typing the actual name.

When I get home I'll try with Opera 7.5b2, which I only installed last week and definitely haven't had time to set any blocked sites on.

It's almost as if popcap is just dropping any HTTP packets I send its way.

Uberlad

Comment

did you check the "hosts" file on your computer?

you can always try to back it up and copy the one from your GF's onto your PC.

Comment

How about flushing your dns if you're using 2k or XP.
              Also check for spyware this can have wierd effects.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Kurt - I switched off LMHOSTS last night with no change

PIT - I'll try that when I get home.

Uberlad

Comment

A button for Opera (just click the link): <a href='opera:/button/Execute program,"ipconfig","/flushdns"' title="Flush DNS">Flush DNS Cache</a>

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt
                    did you check the "hosts" file on your computer?

you can always try to back it up and copy the one from your GF's onto your PC.
                    It wouldn't be the hosts file if using the IP still causes the problem. It's not a DNS problem either.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

@Wombat: unless he's got a double entry that messes up both the IP and the FQDN.

@Uberlad: not the LMHOSTS, the HOSTS file. In c:\Winnt(or Windows)\system32\drivers\etc\ on win2k/xp

you could also have some new.net-like program/feature/annoyance installed. try to run a little adaware/spybot just in case...

Comment

AdAware didn't pick anything up.

I just noticed that my hosts file contains a ton of Kazaa-related blocks used to stop all the advertising with Kazaa lite. I've moved the HOSTS file out of the way but I can't remember the command to force the network to reset and re-read the HOSTS file.

I'll reboot the machine in the morning - that'll sort it. If I still have the trouble then it's time for more crazy ideas.

Uberlad

Comment

Woohoo!

It works. I have no idea which of the fixes did it, but the important thing is that it works.

Ta for the suggestions guys - many thanks to whoever came up with the right one.

Uberlad

Comment

I'm having the same problem. www.popcap.com just disappeared into thin air, and everywhere else I could still use it. I have tried to type in the IP-number and this works: I can get to the site. But only half of it works!
                            I have tried a number of things written above, but I'm not quite that handy with computers (for instance it took me half an hour to find out the IP-address.). I'm running XP professional, have tried to browse the site with Netscape 7.1 and IE 6.0 and both refuse to show the site.
                            I am running Kazaa Lite on my computer and run AdAware three times a week.
                            I have checked my Hosts file, but it is empty, maybe because I flushed the DNS. Still no popcap, though. It is also not in the restricted list.
                            I'm totally at a loss here. Could any of you help me out?

Comment

Not sure if it will help but I found out the true cause of the blocking. I have Peer Guardian installed on my machine and it was deciding that www.popcap.com was a tool of our media opressors and was blocking all traffic from it.

Killing Peer guardian opened popcap back up to the world.

Uberlad

Comment

Working...
                              X