E-Disk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Disk

sounds very intresting.... also comes in all other flavours ... PATA, SATA, SCASI and SAS

any one ever tried some of this stuff? how do they compare with normal drives?
    "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

The most interesting about those things is the price. Once you've heard that, you won't care about performance anymore

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Such "hdd's" has been around for a while now, they are insanely fast and madly expensive
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

how expensive are we talking about?
        "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Eeek! Aren't they like the SS RAM Drives? (But obviously you don't loose the damn data when it powers off... ) Yeah, something like £3000+ for something decent. (As in, more than 1GB in size)

Looks like I better start the fortune telling business again and ditch the low time, low paid programmer I was looking at....

J1NG

Comment

SD, in sizes more than a few GB those things can cost tens of thousands of dollars. You're really much better off with a striped RAID array, SCSI or FC. Or a 64 bit system with lots and lots of RAM.

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

When these things first came out a few years ago, their top of the line (I think it was around 32GB) was somewhere in the neighborhood of US$50,000.
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

hummm...... it should be intresting to keep an eye out on these....

prices will enevtly drop in say 10years time when regular HDDs hit the wall...

Comment

Such drives would still be incredibly awesome in heavy use database systems.

Even if you just put the indexes on one of these RAM drives, the performance improvement may be enough to pay for the drive.
                  80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

me thinking more along the hidef (upereund) streem data.... faster drives in raid config should=more HD streams... right?

Comment

Comment

Defintely a niche thingy, but I would love to have 2 or 3 Gig one for swap space and temp files

Comment

Working...
                        X