Chernobyl - 18 years later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chernobyl - 18 years later

I remember this incident very well. I was 14 years old. I was very scared because I lived in Hawaii and the Jet stream blows from Russia to Hawaii. Radiation levels were checked everyday while I lived there.

Angelfire on Lycos, established in 1995, is one of the leading personal publishing communities on the Web. Angelfire makes it easy for members to create their own blogs, web sites, get a web address (domain) and start publishing online.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Saw it on Slashdot, fascinating stuff... creepy too.

Comment

Thanks for posting that, Dave.. this is one thing people should not forget. What a sad, sad, episode that was.. and remains.

Comment

Wow, and it is very sad. I've sent the link to all my friends and family. Like you said KvH "this is one thing people should not forget"
        Here is Ottawa we still have the Chernobly kids. Every summer (maybe about 50-100) kids from Chernobly come over to enjoy summer life. They come to see the musems, shopping and swim around in our clean northern lakes

Again thanks for the informative post

Comment

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

They still haven't been able to do any kind of clenaup either. I say on Discovery that they are trying to build radio controlled robots to go and start the clean of the main reactors, apparently it's still to dangerous to approach.
            Titanium is the new bling!
            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

wow, that sounds really scary.

Comment

The problem with radioactivity is, that only selfregenerating items (eg living things or their equal) seems to be able to coop. Only way to "scrup" is to discard the radioactiveness itself. Humans does it quite good, actually, apart from one or two base metals that needs a little help.

Most robots are just build to "coop" with runing hot - but a lot of electronics doesnt like this.

I think the way to go is by using "bioremediation".
                Engineered plants that accumulate the radioactive dust and metals. The plants can subesquently be harvested and burned, the radioactives retained by filtration and then storaged safely.

Some plants hyperaccumulate, some experiments suggets rates as high as 10.000 times the soil concentration - and mayhaps more (sunflower is one, btw).

~~DUkeP~~
                Last edited by DukeP; 7 March 2004, 03:19.

Comment

Wow. What a sobering picture-tour that was.
                  Bart

Comment

Originally posted by DukeP
                    The problem with radioactivity is, that only selfregenerating items (eg living things or their equal) seems to be able to coop. Only way to "scrup" is to discard the radioactiveness itself. Humans does it quite good, actually, apart from one or two base metals that needs a little help.

Most robots are just build to "coop" with runing hot - but a lot of electronics doesnt like this.

I think the way to go is by using "bioremediation".
                    Engineered plants that accumulate the radioactive dust and metals. The plants can subesquently be harvested and burned, the radioactives retained by filtration and then storaged safely.

Some plants hyperaccumulate, some experiments suggets rates as high as 10.000 times the soil concentration - and mayhaps more (sunflower is one, btw).

~~DUkeP~~
                    unfortunately, I don't think the current government can afford that...

Comment

I just strolled through the pictures and captions again. I think the two captions that stick out the most for me are

oncological hospital has been working for 40 days after disaster, then head doctor died of cancer and people abandoned this hospital
                      and...

Actually, some people coming back to their homes and settle down, those mostly old people who do not care if they die today or tomorrow. important is to die at home.
                      The whole thing is almost surreal. Hard to believe it happened in my lifetime.
                      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

which reminds me, i was born in the same year...

Comment

I was almost two years old and in Moscow at the time.

My dad, as a native of the Ukraine, rushed to Kiev to help his family.

My uncle was a paramedic that came to Chernobyl to deal with the disaster...
                          Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Originally posted by K6-III
                            I was almost two years old and in Moscow at the time.

My dad, as a native of the Ukraine, rushed to Kiev to help his family.

My uncle was a paramedic that came to Chernobyl to deal with the disaster...
                            Scary.
                            Are they doing OK?
                            chuck
                            Chuck
                            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Thankfully, they're doing fine.
                              Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X