Athlon XP overclocking heatsink recomendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athlon XP overclocking heatsink recomendation

got my mobile xp2500 through today, can clock it to 2.1Ghz without problem at 1.625 Volts, but the tempreatures are really high, at 60 -65 degrees under stress. Ive tried to get it working at 2150Mhz but tempreatures creep up to 70 and then it freezes. Im currently running with an all copper zalman 6000, but it seems its no longer up to the job, so what would anybody recommend, bearing in mind its a budget upgrade and i wont be able to push it any higher than 2.4Gig(if it makes that) due to motherboard restrictions. any ideas? i dont even know what the max processor the zalman is rated for, and the sites down at present
    is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
    Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

thermalright SLK900 or SP94 is my recommendation if you are prepared to pay the price of those.

Comment

was looking at the collermaster aero 7 lite - anybody know if its any good?SLK900 is a little pricy, but if its needed then ill stretch to it.

Comment

Hands down, the second one on this page (The NPH 2).

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

i use a Aero7+ on my 2500+, and its at 29C at 2.16GHz. ambient is 19C. 29C load btw...the only reason the Zalmann isn't on this machine, is cos i don't want to go buggering around with stuff that works fine...

i also have a Zalmann 7000Cu on a Tbred 1800+ at 1783MHz, but the ambient temps are higher, 20-22C so the Idle temp is 33C. Load it goes up to 37-38C.

Both fans are at full speed, or nearabouts..

If i had to buy another one, it would be a Zalmann 7000Cu or AlCu, since it makes less noise than the Aero7, you just have to make sure you can mount a 7000Cu in your case...
          Last edited by Evildead666; 5 March 2004, 13:07.
          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

thanks for input, gonna be between the zalman and aero 7+. hopefully this will allow me to get up to 2.4, the chip has settled down a little now, scaled the voltage back to 1.575, running 166x12.5(2075Mhz) with temperatures around 57 on load. Evildead - those temperatures are amazing - 19C ambient and 29 load! 19C - Thats room temperature in my attic

Comment

Originally posted by az
              Hands down, the second one on this page (The NPH 2).

AZ
              Cool..

Every time I go to Dan's site, I get lost in all the links.. it's wonderful, but it can take all day.

That's a pretty neat cooler. The only thing I don't like about it is the clip. I'd like to get something that mounts to the four holes they still put in most good motherboards. The Swiftech I have now I got for that very reason, just for the peace of mind.

Comment

A lot of "good" motherboards stopped putting those mounting brackets on though
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

borat, you from Gloucester originally? i went to school there...

and to explain the temps, my room is next to an unheated garage/corridor on the ground floor. I have a 10m extension to get the case into the corridor, where its 19C or less all year round. That and 5 case fans.. i'm still stuck at 12x180, anything above 185 and i lock up, sometimes for a few days, and it will do 12.5x185, but its unstable. i haven't pushed the voltage very far, since i tried that and it didn't help at all..

One sweet processor tho, will do 12x180 for just about anyone, and thats a huge benefit.
                  PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                  Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                  +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Gigabyte's 3D cooler (quad heatpipe w/blower fan) looks pretty good too...

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

but i heard that gigabyte doesn't do a decent cooling job...

Comment

I heard the same from two guys... and considered it true til I found out it wasn't mounted properly for one and the other forgot to remove the label on the base
                        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

How about the Vantec Aeroflow VA4-C7040? It keeps my overclocked 2100+ cool, and it's also quite quiet.
                          RC Agent
                          AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz, MSI 785GT-E63, 6 GB(2x1GB, 2x2GG) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Asus EAH4850 TOP
                          AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz, ASRock A790GXH/128M BIOS 1.7, 4 GB(2x2GB) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Gigabyte HD 6850 1GB DDR5
                          AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7GHz, Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 BIOS 2501 , 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 1866 CL9 Crucial BallisticX(BLT4G3D1869DT1TX0) , Sapphire HD7870 2GB GDDR5 OC, Seasonic 850w powers supply

Comment

Thermalright SLK900U (I'm using SK7's due to space) with 92mm fans.

Aero is loud.

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                              I heard the same from two guys... and considered it true til I found out it wasn't mounted properly for one and the other forgot to remove the label on the base
                              a wonder he managed to attach it to the motherboard...

Comment

Working...
                              X