Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD Burner Questions

Hi,

I just got a Plextor 708a 8x DVD burner and a batch of Ritek DVD+R 4.7G 8x discs. I don't have any problems burning at 8x, and the data is verified properly. But when I play the DVDs on my settop DVD player (Kenwood SD-5700), I get random artifacts and popouts occuring (occasionally). And some of the disks won't play at all in my settop player. Obviousy this is due to the combination of the quality of the laser in my settop player and the quality of the DVD media I am using. But do any of you guys have any advice on how to deal with this issue? My Kenwood player is expensive(!), and I am NOT replacing it!

-V-
    ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Apple Powerbook G4 - 1.33GHZ

Try different media?

Comment

Try slower burning ?

Has the burning process been interrupted (e.g. by BURN-proof - or whatever it is called for DVDs - as a result of a buffer underrun) ?

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

The burn speed is probably way too high for your Kenwood to be able to read the discs properly - they usually have low speed drives for playback which are not exactly bleeding edge. Try 2x or 4x instead.

Comment

Yep. 8x sounds great, but your player obviously can't read it properly. Or else your player has issues with +R media. Ritek is the nicest media you can get, so THAT isn't the problem.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

8x is probably too fast for your player and anyway +R sucks when it comes to compatibility. -R is far better for this...
            System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

"+R Sucks, -R Rulez!"

The mantra of the -R user and the Sony owner.

-R is great for compatibility with:

1. Really old units.
              2. Sony.
              3. -R hardware.

Otherwise, they're about equal.

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Nop I don't care about Sony or -R. It's just that DVD-R are more compatible with regular DVD units. Otherwise they are the same, I agree here.
                The +RW format has an advantage because it can do multisession recordings.
                System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. Can someone explain the difference between DVD+R and DVD-R - what do the plus and minus signs signify?
                  ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Comment

There are 2 DVD wite/rewrite standards. They signify the difference with the + and -. It's just a different way of writin the data onto the disc. As stated, -R is a little more compatible, and +R is faster.

Jammrock
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

"It's just a different way of writin the data onto the disc"

Can you be a little more specific?

Comment

Comment

It's got to do with ... it's complex.

At any rate, it really depends on the equipment. In my personal experience, the ONLY hardware that preferred -R media is Sony. Judging by the people on the Internet, OVERALL -R is more compatible with OLDER units, and +R is more compatible with NEWER units.

-R is falling by the wayside, though. +R is the standard going to 8x, and moving forward to dual-layer media.

- Gurm

Comment

Wel as for speed, both -R and +R are going 8x, I've seen 8x DVD-R media in shops (+R as well).
                            About the dual layer, it seems that both format will do it. Same with 16x I think. I don't know how they are going to decide which format has to be kept :/

Comment

Well compatabilty for -R has been pretty sucky for me, +R +RW have almost be faultless(in my limited experience)

Thats with JVC DVD player and a few computer dvd rom drives.

I have no intention of buying any more -r media in the immediate future.

Comment

Working...
                              X