Faster CPU's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faster CPU's

I emailed HP and they said my notebook was only tested up to a 2.53 GHz processor. However, I was thinking of installing either a 3.06 or a 3.2. What's the worst that could happen if I use a CPU that is too fast for the motherboard (and by too fast, I can't say how fast that is, because I have to take my mb apart to find out what one I have, and I don't feel like doing that again right now)?
    2.4 GHz P4 :: 1024 MB RAM
    533 MHz FSB :: 233 MHz DDR
    64 MB Radeon Mobility
    w/128 MB Video Buffer
    40 GB HD & 120 GB External HD
    DVD/CDRW :: JBL Creature 2 Speakers

The worst that can happen?
    You pay out for a processor, then fry it, and your motherboard.
    If HP says they have tested it up to a certain proc, then I wouldn't try anything beyond that.

General rule of thumb: Laptops are not upgrade friendly. Aside from hard drives and RAM, never count on a laptop for upgradability. What you buy is what you get.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Kruzin: WYBIWUG that's a new one

Comment

Re: Faster CPU's

Originally posted by skinrock
        I emailed HP and they said my notebook was only tested up to a 2.53 GHz processor. However, I was thinking of installing either a 3.06 or a 3.2. What's the worst that could happen if I use a CPU that is too fast for the motherboard (and by too fast, I can't say how fast that is, because I have to take my mb apart to find out what one I have, and I don't feel like doing that again right now)?
        Why the hell are you trying to do all this to a laptop?
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Re: Re: Faster CPU's

Originally posted by Wombat
          Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
          ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Re: Re: Faster CPU's

Originally posted by Wombat
            Machokistic tendencies perhaps
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Re: Faster CPU's

What series is that? If it's a Compal bareboine, there's a good chance you could put a 3.06 in it - better a mobile version but it depends on the model. Forget 3.2. You can go to www.marasst.com to check what they notebooks look like and see if there's one like yours.

Anyway, putting a 3.06 will not make it much faster. It's at best 20% faster - which is to say you won't even see the difference.

The better solution would be to invest in an Hitachi 60GB 7200rpm w. 8MB cache hard drive. there you'll see a much faster PC. Put some RAM too - 512MB is the minimum for good performance with XP.

Comment

Reading thorough all your threads it would almost be cheaper, and safer, for you to buy a new laptop. Preferably a gamer laptop from Alienware or VoodooPC. Those leave a lot more room for upgrades than regular laptops do ... if you get a higher-end model.

Though if you are set on upgrading, get a 7200 RPM HDD, more RAM and a 2.53 GHz processor (never go over the limit on laptops! heat, power, and clock issue will only bring your laptop to an early grave or the new CPU will not work at all, or at the right speed). That would defiantely help.

I've posted a reply in your video card thread as well.

Jammrock
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Update

The reason I'm doing this, is because I like the laptop, and I have the money for upgrades, just not a new one. However, I did upgrade the ram, to 1 gig, that helped a lot. I'm gonna look for a 7200 rpm drive if you say that will help. And if the 2.53 p4 isn't too much, I'll look into that. But, I probably will just stick with the ram upgrade for now, and get an alienware in the future, and btw, I'm planning on building a custom pc, so that's what i've decided for now. I didn't get an alienware in the first place cuz my credit card was for compusa, and i was kinda limited to a notebook cuz that was the whole point. Thanks.
                  2.4 GHz P4 :: 1024 MB RAM
                  533 MHz FSB :: 233 MHz DDR
                  64 MB Radeon Mobility
                  w/128 MB Video Buffer
                  40 GB HD & 120 GB External HD
                  DVD/CDRW :: JBL Creature 2 Speakers

Comment

Re: Update

The reason I'm doing this, is because I like the laptop, and I have the money for upgrades, just not a new one.
                    Which is kind of an odd statement for laptops. Two or three upgrades, and you've paid for a new laptop.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Re: Update

The reason I'm doing this, is because I like the laptop, and I have the money for upgrades, just not a new one. However, I did upgrade the ram, to 1 gig, that helped a lot. I'm gonna look for a 7200 rpm drive if you say that will help. And if the 2.53 p4 isn't too much, I'll look into that. But, I probably will just stick with the ram upgrade for now, and get an alienware in the future, and btw, I'm planning on building a custom pc, so that's what i've decided for now. I didn't get an alienware in the first place cuz my credit card was for compusa, and i was kinda limited to a notebook cuz that was the whole point. Thanks.
                      Not any 7200 rpm though. Take the Hitachi Travelstar 60B 7200/8MB. It's the fastest and consumes about as much power as your current 4200 rpm. It's only downside really is price (when compared to 60GB 4200rpm drives).

Comment

Yeah, Hitachi seems to have taken the best technology available from IBM, and integrated into their own drives.

Now, let's hope that their laptop drives don't have that "rattle rattle crash crash" thing that IBM laptop drives have. Have you ever taken an IBM laptop drive out? It rattles around, even when it's 100% perfectly functional. Yikes!

- Gurm
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                          Yeah, Hitachi seems to have taken the best technology available from IBM, and integrated into their own drives.

Now, let's hope that their laptop drives don't have that "rattle rattle crash crash" thing that IBM laptop drives have. Have you ever taken an IBM laptop drive out? It rattles around, even when it's 100% perfectly functional. Yikes!

- Gurm
                          The Hitachi laptop HDD's do as well. I've gotten some laptops w. them. There is a big sticker on it that says "it is normal for the hdd to make noise when moved" or something like that.

Alas... one of the batches of the Hitachi drive we got was bad as well

Jammrock
                          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Toshibas rattle as well. It's due to the ramp head load system - the head parking method. (I'm not sure exactly what they mean, but that's what Toshiba says about it).

- Steve

Comment

The heads are parked on a ramp when not in use. This gives the drives better shock protection.

AZ
                              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                              X