Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just found a new system stability test program

Starcraft.

I just reinstalled it (had forgot I even had it after I switched to XP) and was annoyed to find that it would crash with the sound looping on the main screen if I moved the mouse around to highlight the different "buttons." If I managed to get it to fire up a game it'd crash the moment used any keys.

I assumed it was a WinXP compability issue, but when I looked on the net I couldn't find anything that showed it had any issues with XP at all, I was almost totally stumped.

I hadn't had any reasons to think my system wasn't 100% stable at it's current o/c (Celeron 1.2 @ 1.44 GHz, 1.525v), Prime95 could run it's various torture tests without any errors, MemTest86+ likewise. FS2004 was totally stable, 3DMark2002 and 03 had no problems. But just to be thorough I decided to lower the speed to 1.2 GHz. I was rather surprised to see that Starcraft no longer crashed, so I bumped it back to 1.44 and yes, it crashed again like before. I then bumped the voltage up another notch to 1.575 and now it doesn't crash at 1.44 GHz.

I don't quite understand how Starcraft of all programs could be so stressfull to the CPU that it could trigger a total system freeze when nothing else seemed to have any problems at all.

Oh well, it still runs cool at the higher voltage, 32c (89.6f) idle, 38c (100f) loaded with CPUburn P6, mobo sensor at 23c (73f) either way, case air temp near heatsink intake 20.3 (68.5f) idle, 20.5c (68.9f) loaded, room temp 18.5c (65.3f.)
    Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 4 March 2004, 18:05.
Working...
X