Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G400 on an nforce2 (AGP4x voltage thing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 on an nforce2 (AGP4x voltage thing)

Howdy ya'll. I know this was rehashed several times last year, but I'm basically looking for a bunch of "me-too" posts. I just ordered a Shuttle SN45G (with the nforce2, but no onboard video), and I want to put my Matrox G400 MAX into it. After reading the stuff here I checked the board, and it is the first revision: no 4A in the name, and the R68 pins are not connected. I'm not sure if this motherboard checks for 4x, but I think it does (I'll find out in probably a day). If so, I'll have to fill that gap, probably with a pencil (though I can borrow a soldering iron at work).

So, how many folks here have done this "hack" successfully? And what motherboard did you do it on (I'm especially looking for nforce2 comments)? I think this would be a useful thread anyway, since other people might like to see a list of successes.

I'll post my results here too. If all goes well, I might end up with a nice portable DVD player, since I have the TV-OUT cable (got the board and cable refurbed from Matrox several months ago).

Thanks much!

Worked with my G400MAX on several AGP4x Athlon motherboards. They weren't nForce2 based however, via and amd chipsets.

Comment

Hi, I've just bought an ASUS A7N8X-X mobo with nForce 2 and my G400max with no 4A in the name works just fine without any moding.
      System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

For me the R68 trick worked fine, but I have an Asus Motherboard based on the Intel i875p chipset.

... and now the G400max is now reported as a 4X agp board, not 2X (I'm talking about AGP transfer rate, not only AGP voltage) !!!

... maybe I am lucky, maybe the R68 pin closed mean AGP4X in both transfer rate and voltage.

Best Regards.
        <b><i><font size="+1">Zanna.</font></i></b>
        <p><b><font size="-2"><hr>Current Config: Asus P4C800 Deluxe / Intel Pentium 4c 3.2 Ghz - 800 Mhz Bus / Dual 512Mb DDR 400 Ram (1Gb) / Matrox Millennium G400Max /&nbsp;&nbsp;Sound Blaster Audigy 2 /&nbsp; Western Digital WD2500JB: 250 Gb-7.2Krpm-8MBcache! / Superfloppy LS120 /&nbsp;Yamaha CRW-F1e /&nbsp;LG&nbsp;52x CDROM /&nbsp;Dual Boot 98se / W2k</font></b></p>

Comment

Closing the pin allows it to try AGP4x voltage. The lower voltage is required for 4x transfers. Some G400s can handle that kind of speed, some can't.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

hoo-ha! Plugged in the G400 and it boots. No drives in the system yet, but I do get a BIOS post screen, and the AGP protection LED doesn't light up on the motherboard.

Comment

... welcome to the land of the modded G400Max users !

Good thing that it is working for you.

When you install the drivers, please check if the card support 4x transfer rates, i'm curios !

BR.
              <b><i><font size="+1">Zanna.</font></i></b>
              <p><b><font size="-2"><hr>Current Config: Asus P4C800 Deluxe / Intel Pentium 4c 3.2 Ghz - 800 Mhz Bus / Dual 512Mb DDR 400 Ram (1Gb) / Matrox Millennium G400Max /&nbsp;&nbsp;Sound Blaster Audigy 2 /&nbsp; Western Digital WD2500JB: 250 Gb-7.2Krpm-8MBcache! / Superfloppy LS120 /&nbsp;Yamaha CRW-F1e /&nbsp;LG&nbsp;52x CDROM /&nbsp;Dual Boot 98se / W2k</font></b></p>

Comment

Working...
              X