satellite receiver...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• satellite receiver...

A friend of mine just moved into a new house. The previous owners left a satellite dish and a decoder: Cherokee SR 7000 LT MK II, but no manual...

Any ideas to know how it works ? To what satellite it is aimed (antenna is fixed) and how to tune stations ?

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

If you want to know what satellite it is aimed at, get your compass. You can find all the satellites/channels info on Satcodx .

I couldn't find anything on that receiver though... can you get a product ID/FCC ID or a picture?

Check if it has PCMCIA slots. If so, depending on what channels you want to watch, it will be possible to put the correct Conditional Access Module (CAM) to decrypt the signal(with a smartcard) - as long as it accepts Common Interface (CI) CAMs. If there's no possibility to put either a smartcard or a PCMCIA, then it's a Free To Air (FTA) receiver.

It could also be a satellite radio receiver. Did you check whether you can connect it to a TV?

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt
      If you want to know what satellite it is aimed at, get your compass. You can find all the satellites/channels info on Satcodx .
      Thanks...
      Some channels are preprogrammed (a list of programmed channels can be displayed on the OSD, it contains a number of channels (IIRC: TF1, MTV, ...). But none of them seems to work (they all result in a blue screen).

I couldn't find anything on that receiver though... can you get a product ID/FCC ID or a picture?
      Will ask him...

Check if it has PCMCIA slots. If so, depending on what channels you want to watch, it will be possible to put the correct Conditional Access Module (CAM) to decrypt the signal(with a smartcard) - as long as it accepts Common Interface (CI) CAMs. If there's no possibility to put either a smartcard or a PCMCIA, then it's a Free To Air (FTA) receiver.

It could also be a satellite radio receiver. Did you check whether you can connect it to a TV?
      It has the following connections (in the back):
      - A and B input
      - 3 scart (labeled Decoder, TV, Magnetoscope (=vcr))
      - 2 pairs of cinch (ie. two sets red/white cinch connectors
      I suspect is it a free-to-air receiver...

Jörg
      Last edited by VJ; 4 March 2004, 05:31.
      pixar

Comment

I did find reference to a 'cherokee' here in a European satellite forum, but my french is very weak (not all Canucks speak french) and for some reason it is posted in french.
        note: you may have to register to read this.
        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Nothing to do with the problem at hand.

Cherokee is a brand from a company called Worldsat (cheap sat. receivers) but they only have 3 models - that do not include an SR7000. Some are made by Pace, some by Xsat, but I couildn't find anything useful on the SR7000 and google didn't help either.

It might as well be a rebranded Humax for all we know...

Comment

@VJ: if you have these channels programmed, the satellite it was pointing at should be Hotbird. It's on 13° East (when facing South).

They're "blue" probably because that's the way this receiver reacts to a signal it can't decode, or because it's not receiving any signal (the dish might have been moved, the cable not good or disconnected etc).

If you can, check whether there's a front panel that you can open that would reveal hidden PCMCIA slots.

Check whether it says "DVB" on it somewhere. If yes, then it's a digital sat receiver (which is a good thing ).

Comment

Thanks!
              I have mailed him your comments...
              (will report back)

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

Working...
              X