P3-500 to P3-800 Update..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P3-500 to P3-800 Update..

Hi, just thought id update you all with my progress.. I had a p3-500 running with a g400 Flex3d and rt2000 and asked you helpful people if upgrading would make much of a difference in games and editing..

You replied with a resounding yes..
    I bought one and im happy to say your right,

(well i am now i bought a p3-800EB with a 133 bus speed, on my be-6 -100fsb- it only ran at 600, but luckily i changed it, phew)

though i havent tried editing yet, im due too soon..

I have another question.. a quick experiment showed i can easily overclock the chip to 900mhz, by increasing the fsb to 112

But i remember reading somewhere this is a STRICT NO NO with the Rt200 as it may damage or render it unstable?

ive changed it back now, but i was just wondering if anyone runs an rt2000 on an overclocked system...

im not really that bothered.. but if i can i will????

Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

NOT recommended. There are timing issues that can make life hell in an overclocked setup.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

okaydokey.. ill take the docs perscription on that one.. i did a search in the rt2000 forums using 'overclocking' as the keyword
      and only found 6 topics, all were matrox techies advising not to overclock,

however one interesting response from a guy who was having lots of probs said that he had solved all of his issues by overclocking slighty with an fsb, strange huh..

one more question for the doc if i may..

I have a duel boot system one with rt200 installed and everything tailored for it, and the other with everything to do with the rt2000 disabled.. and using the powerdesk 6.21 drivers

Would overclocking run any risk of damaging the rt2000 while in this setup.. i mean its not being used, the loader and card are disabled in the hardware profile, so the card is sitting in its pci slot, but i mean.. would i run the risk of frying it or anything if i chose too...
      Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Comment

The tech guys would warn of possible damage with an overclocked bus. While Windows might not be using the card it still is plugged in and drawing current so I'd defer to their advice on the issue. That's a lot of hardware to replace if you fry it. It's not like blowing an audio card or NIC....

As for the guy who supposedly O/C'ed to fix a problem, it is possible that his system was under-performing and his mod just brought it up to snuff.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Thanks for the advice...
          its not like its a total slouch now, just wondering..
          Thanks doc.. im now of to experimtent with dvdit 2,2.. lets see if i can make head or tail of it lol

Thanks again

CMB

Comment

Working...
          X