Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SATA - drivers needed for controller only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SATA - drivers needed for controller only?

Ok, I'm taking the leap to SATA.

Do I just need drivers for the controller in order to install Windows, as if it were a SCSI or RAID device? Or will I need drivers for the drive as well?

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Just the device only.

J1NG

Comment

Gurm it's JUST like scsi or raid in this regard. Just had a coworker upgrade to a board and sata drive and he had to do this. Worked beautifully
      Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Yup, just drivers for the controler on a floppy.

Comment

Ok just checking. Trying to figure out why MAXTOR has SATA drivers on their web site.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

What happens if you don't have a floppy drive?
            Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

afaik windows will still only load 3rd party drivers from floppy
              Maybe you can make a usb disk act as a floppy
              We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

You know, first there was the floppy drive, then came a vast improvement.. the hard drive. What do you suppose the jokers will call the next vast improvement? The ejaculating drive? I suppose after that it's back to floppies again.

***end comic interlude***

Comment

SATA

my built in sata controller didn't require any driver disk during the xp install i recently did...the siig add-in card that my 2 74Gb raptors are connected to did though, after windows was installed.

cc

Comment

If XP/2K doesn't have the drivers nativly, then you need to provide them on a floppy. I don't have a floppy in my rig so this always poses a problem.

I must find a way to put the SCSI drivers into the windows cab files....
                    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

AFAIK, XP will allow you to insert a CD to read 3rd party drivers. As long as the CD is not SATA, which I don't think any is, it should work fine.
                      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Right right. I was just confused because there was a driver provided by Maxtor...

- Gurm

Comment

IIRC, its because Maxtor sells repackaged (S/ATA)/RAID cards. last i saw, they were rebranded Promise controllers. Not sure though.
                          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

External cards tend to need these drivers, some motherboards will not.

Comment

Bah! My I am trying to do a fresh install of xP on my new A7N8X-E but the OS wants the drivers on a floppy.... I don't have any floppy disks bugger... I hate the way it wont let you pull them off a CD.....
                              The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Working...
                              X