extended domains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• extended domains

Extendend domain names are now possible.

The first one registered is:
    http://öko.de/

Might become a problem when you have to type an address but don't have the appropriate keys...

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

yes there is talk of that here. personally I pray nobody uses it.
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Well that's really interesting. Do these extended domains use non-standard ASCII characters?

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Yep, there now are 118 valid characters for domainnames. Currently in use in Germany, Poland, France and Norway...

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Hmm, I don't like this idea. Makes it easier for people to hijack. Now you just have to register something that looks like www.citibank.com, but isn't - instant bank fraud.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I'm just concerned about interoperability.

It's like the registrars offering nonstandard domain extensions. It's all fine and well that you offer people microsuck.hpq, but since at this point NONE of the master registrars or master DNS servers recognize that domain extension, it's pretty useless.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Thought #2:

http://öko.de/

Isn't up. Or doesn't exist. Or can't be found. Gotta love IE's lack of information.

Or else IE doesn't support that kind of domain name... which wouldn't be a surprise either.

- Gurm

Comment

you're right! it works in opera here, but not in IE6 ????? that's some weird stuff. Bug in IE?

Comment

Not a bug in IE as much as non-standard characters aren't part of the accepted standard yet? I don't know for sure, I'm just guessing.

- Gurm

Comment

From about hal;f year in Poland we may use our characters in domains... & it's fine i think. & it's true, that IE sucks with such domains :P
                    A CRAY is the only computer that runs an endless loop in just 4 hours...

Comment

Yes, but has the W3C accepted such a thing yet?

- Gurm

Comment

LOL
                        So IE "sucks" - just your personal opinion, your call.
                        However, IE currently has what, 85%-90% of the browser market?

Don't you think maybe owning a domain with a non-standard character in which 85%-90% of Internet users cannot access might be considered a little bit of a waste of money?

Sounds like it might be as popular as the "domain extensions" available here
                        It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
                        Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

Paul:

That's exactly what I mean. The New.Net domain extensions aren't accepted by the W3C, which means no browser supports them or is likely to anytime soon. The only way to get them to work is to put SPYWARE onto your machine (both Spybot and Ad-Aware remove New.Net software by default).

These nonstandard characters strike me as similar. I haven't waded through the w3c page in a while, but it wouldn't surprise me if they had NOT, in fact, accepted these characters yet - in which case I'm surprised that ANY browser accepts them.

- Gurm

Comment

Well i don't know that W3C accepted that or not. But You are right. Most of ppl will can't go such websites. So it is waste of money :P & Paulr - You got right, it's my opinion that IE sucks
                            A CRAY is the only computer that runs an endless loop in just 4 hours...

Comment

Working...
                            X