NASA to Announce 'Significant Findings' of Water on Mars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA to Announce 'Significant Findings' of Water on Mars

NASA will hold a press conference Tuesday to announce "significant findings" about water on Mars based on evidence from its Opportunity Mars rover.

"It's going to be the most significant science results that we've had from the rovers, and it's bearing on their primary mission," NASA spokesperson Don Savage told SPACE.com . That mission is to find signs of water that might support life.

Mars has water trapped in the polar ice caps. More water may lie just beneath the surface. A new study suggests that water also flows on the surface.

What ? martians don't drink beer ???
    System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

Technically, if they found no presence of water in the soil it'd still count as a "significant finding" of water.

Comment

Reading the Space.com story that isn't the "feel" I get. We'll find out in about 20 minutes & I'll be watching on the NASA channel

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

spiegel.de rumoured that they have evidence of some stones indeed being sediment, which could only originate from stagnant water.

mfg
          wulfman
          "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
          "Lobsters?"
          "Really? I didn't know they did that."
          "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

I'm gonna guess that the rock outcrop is made from or contains sulfates or sulfides, the nodules contain pyrite that has partially or completely oxidized into hematite.

Comment

You nailed it with the sulfur compounds. Also other evidence of sedimentation showing, as they stated it, that this area may once have been habitable. Apparently there is another area that looks even more promising they've called "el Capitan".

This all begs for a human geologist to do some real analysis in person.

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

El Capitan is one of the areas they drilled, it's right above the other drill site.
                Attached Files

Comment

Drat, they haven't said what they think the blueberries are, other than to say that they are pretty certain they're concretions.

Comment

latest update
                    Mars rocks once 'water drenched'
                    Nasa says its Mars rover Opportunity has shown unequivocally that the Red Planet had the right conditions to support life some time in its history.
                    The rover has revealed the rocks at its landing site were once in contact with substantial amounts of liquid water.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Comment

Working...
                    X