AMD to introduce SSE3, Thermal Throttling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD to introduce SSE3, Thermal Throttling

AMD will include SSE3 functionality in their next Athlon64/Opteron processors, which will be built on a 90nm process. They will also include the Thermal Monitor for automatic Thermal Throttling, better prefetching, a bigger write-combining buffer, and a better memory interface (DDR400, not DDR2, and better Open Page Policy, whatever that means). Next year, a dual core variant is planned.

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Sounds like that cross patenting thing with intel is working..LOL
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Maybe AMD and Intel struck a deal to cross develop. AMD got SSE2/3 code and Intel got x86-64 code .. ?
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

According to some regulations or law, no one can patent instruction set, if I remember correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
          Maybe AMD and Intel struck a deal to cross develop. AMD got SSE2/3 code and Intel got x86-64 code .. ?
          They've had a deal going for years now that allows them to see each others secrets and use them whenever and however they wish.

Dave
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Right, you can't patent an instruction set, but you can certainly hide your method.

Helevitia - what's your source on that?

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
              Helevitia - what's your source on that?
              I can't find a link, but it has been posted on HOCP several times as well as other websites.

Dave
              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Intel's Chief Technology Officer Pat Gelsinger confirmed they are allowed to do that under the patent exchange, and said on IDF that he expects to see that.

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
                  I can't find a link, but it has been posted on HOCP several times as well as other websites.

Dave
                  dont have a link either, but most major hardware sites talk about it from time to time

Thats how AMD was able to implement SSE into athlon XP, and SSE2 into athlon 64

I guess x86-64 is the first time intel really benefits from this

Comment

Intel never used AMD's 3dnow/3dnow2 extensions?

Comment

Cool n Quiet & Thermal Throttling !

Comment

Working...
                      X