NV40 to have 16 pipelines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NV40 to have 16 pipelines?

Yes.. it is the inquirer, but could this be true?

Nvidia NV40 specifications confirmed

Too late for ATI to respond

By Paul Dutton: Thursday 26 February 2004, 14:52

NVIDIA REALLY needed to pull the cat out of the bag in the next round of its increasingly epic battle with ATI Technologies and from where we’re sitting we’d be more than surprised if the next round isn’t, now, a foregone conclusion.
    US sources close to Nvidia have confirmed that their next generation GPU will feature a full sixteen pipelines – not as previously speculated an 8x2 arrangement - and this is reflected in the increased transistor count of circa 205-210 million, up from a previously speculated 175 million.

In very recent times ATI have been extremely confident in saying that their R420 - set to launch not long after, Nvidia show their hand – would, immaterial of architecture, thoroughly outgun the NV40.

Indeed today, Richard Huddy - ATI's European Developer Relations Manager maintained that their expectation was for ATi’s R420 to be, faster, on balance, across a suite of 10 common games than Nvidia NV40.

However we think that ATI's earlier confidence was based on internal intelligence that Nvidia’s NV40 feature set would be limited to an architecture built on 175 million transistors and that Nvidia would deliver, as anticipated, on the first day of CeBIT in March.

Nvidia's launch date for NV40 seems to have shifted backwards, but even a month or so is not going to give ATi enough time for a hardware response.

Knowing what we know now about NV40 having a full sixteen pipelines, we sensed that despite some fighting talk, and indeed some intelligent and rationalised arguments, ATi are now hoping, at best for a close fight…

NV40 0wnage of ATi R420 coming soon to a store near you?

We sure think so… µ
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

I still wouldn't buy an Nvidia card. Even if it 10% faster across the board, big deal.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I like the standard blur feature. Come to that Nvidea do make some dodgy claims so this maybe another one of those.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

This is in regards to the 210 million transistor count for the 16 pipes.

DaveBaumann wrote: (he got this from someone else)

When I spoke to engineers at both ATI and Nvidia, their response was to not really understand what management at Nvidia were smoking, but the best explanation I got later was from someone senior at ATI who told me that, as near as they could tell, Nvidia were counting gates in things like caches and including that in the transistor count, while ATI only counted transistors directly involved in logic. Apples to oranges.
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
          This is in regards to the 210 million transistor count for the 16 pipes.

DaveBaumann wrote: (he got this from someone else)

When I spoke to engineers at both ATI and Nvidia, their response was to not really understand what management at Nvidia were smoking, but the best explanation I got later was from someone senior at ATI who told me that, as near as they could tell, Nvidia were counting gates in things like caches and including that in the transistor count, while ATI only counted transistors directly involved in logic. Apples to oranges.
          That's odd. I'm used to every single transistor being counted. I've never seen someone exclude the cache before.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

New!

nVidia's next chip to have 16mm of smudge onscreen!

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Dont You mean winged, naked smurf??

Usually what sells...

~~DukeP~~

Comment

lets just see if it is "fast" in anything other than 3Dmark2003
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

who gives a sh*t about rumors like oh i am doing 100fps more than you. time will tell. and cebit is not far away. as long as the framerate is above 50fps, i am happy.

Comment

As with most tthings the inquirer writes this is very likely absolute BS....
                    Last edited by Indiana; 26 February 2004, 17:49.
                    But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                    My System
                    2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                    German ATI-forum

Comment

is it just me or is it hard to get excited about new cards.

All I know is that new cards will be really fast, be really expensive (far too expensive for me) and any low end version they build will be cut of at the knees and be almost useless at 3d games.
                      80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

sounds like bs to me but i wouldnt buy it anyway im staying for radeons ´SINCE THEY DONT HAVE TO CHEAT INT TESTS!!!!
                        WaterCooled!
                        AMD Athlon XP 2400+@2325 with Water!

Lian Li PC71 Mods UnderWay!
                        Radeon 9800 Pro 450Core / 375 Mem With Original Cooling just memsinks added
                        512mb HyperX Dual Channel 400MHz Ram
                        Modding is my life allways was my life and i intend it to be my life

Comment

I guess its the same as with the last geforce, which had a 4x2 architecture. they promoted that as 8 pipelines.

so nv40 will have 8x2=16 pipelines

didnt do them much good last time, wont this time

Comment

Sorry for the gibberish of the question but doesnt the effectiveness of the number of pipelines decrease as you add more? Just because you have 16 pipleines doesnt mean that you can all ways use them at the same time.

Regards Michael
                            Interests include:
                            Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

News: Nvidia is late on schedule so they release a rumour saying they'll beat ATi twice over with their next graphic chip. And everybody forgets they're late on schedule.

Comment

Working...
                              X